HybridZ

Building a rottisery...

Mikelly

Guys, because I'm getting close to ready for paint and body on this car, I'm gonna go buy some heavy duty engine stands and weld up some brackets to mount the car on... I really need to get this thing in the air without the panels and suspension on it... I need to finish the underside prime and paint, as well as my roll cage issues finished, finish the engine bey, and paint it all... SO I can do the topside body and paint! :D

I hope to have everything in house by the weekend so I can make it all!

I'll take pics! :D

Mike

I'm sure that you already know this; but, I like to 'see' myself 'talk'..... In order to get a clear rotation, the fulcrum of the engine stand needs to be at least 34" from the ground. Most of the stands I've been looking at (to do the same thing) don't quite make it. I did a search and saw someone publish plans with about $76 in raw stock to make the whole deal. That should be less than any pair of engine stands on sale (even Harbor Freight).

My plan was to get the pair of engine stands, section the riser, weld in a longer inner 'sleeve', and reweld to sort of make a fixed telescope. Again, you probably already knew all of this......

Mike here is a link with some nice plans. (note, they are not for a Z but good plans non the less)

I feel strongly that the two ends need to connected together (as shown in the drawings) for safety reasons.

Don`t Compromise Your Safety.

Besides, you need to build a nice one so when your done I can buy it from you. :D

http://members.tripod.com/~mopar_roadster/body_rotisserie.html

240Z2NV, I actually have one of the four leg, heavy duty engine stands that I took measurements from and you're right, it needs to be extended. You would never be able to rotate it 180 degrees otherwise. Additional bracing was in the plan, with several other mods, as well as a Connecting beam of 2X3 Stock steal... And raising the fulcrum.

However, since DOUG was so nice as to find the link to the plans I couldn't find before I posted this.... I think I'll now go buy the stock and make a large rotisery! :D

Mike :lol:

Hey Mike, I'm right in the middle of welding one up as we speak, I'm using 4x4 and 5x5 tube as the primaries,however I do realize this is hell for stout re: a Z's weight. I'm just using materials that are taking up space in the shop. I can't seem to post pics. ,maybe I can e-mail them to you and you could post them for this thread ?Let me know. :roll:

The mounting points are obvious of course,the main concern is to draw the Grade 8 bolts tight and check them every now and then as you spin the car.

I'm going to weld the spin pipe last so as to align the centers with a long 2' or 3' pipe between the full length ,that way the final trueness won't put any undue stresses on the Rotation bearing and bumper points.

Give me shout to what ya' think ?

...........Vince

Well no, Actually I have been tied up with family stuff... and work stuff... DOnna's Granny is in bad shape... They are bringing in hospice care for her, as she is suffering final stages of cancer, and last week I wasn't so sure I wasn't going to be looking for a job... Had some contract issues pop up, and we almost found ourselves without one... So it has been a bit tense since my two hour commute home Friday evening!

I hope to go pick up some of the material this friday.

Mike

Steve, the one shown in your pics looks like a modified engine stand deal... Oh and for what it's worth, Pete P. and I both saw a late 60s Mustang on one of those modified engine stand kinda homemade deals, and it was rock steady... WOuld be fine using those if used with some additional bracing/ modification to make of for the height and no frame rail/ floor pan mods were needed...

Mike

Well I think I'm gonna see just how much painting I can get done with my lift and my lift Jack... The real issue I had was painting around the underside of the car... I think we have come up with a solution that will require me to shoot the underside and engine bay in phases, but not require me to take the addition 16-24 hours labor to build the rotissary.

Mike