HybridZ

Has anyone heard of the phantom grip

Guest iskone

There is another one also- you might give this guy a shout & ask for racer references or such... limitedslip@hotmail.com. Their product is called Retrofit limited slip.

Here's most of a letter sent me:

"About three years now in testing and usage of the chosen components. It took quite some time to determine which material to use, and experimentation with a host of possibilities. It has terrific wear characteristics, being designed for our purpose and living in an oil environment.

As example, we redid a diff for a client a few months ago which had been in operation for about a year, in very extreme use. He ruined his transaxle with lack of oil. The Retrofit unit was in great shape. Wear was not really visible. He reported that it was still working fine. His diff and other parts were galled from oil starvation.

Depending upon an owner's desires, we usually apply initial setup at around 75# of breakaway torque force, some less as with small cars like a Mini I have, some more as with drag race only applications. We do not yet have a complaint from ANY user. Lots of good feedback, though. We've done many Z's. One customerin FL calls every now and then with glowing reports of his autocross times, versus before installation. He also sent a picture of his Z.

I have extensive racing experience and am aware of the strains placed upon drive trains. Your application is actually less taxing than many. The front wheel drive, front engine cars are more abusive to diffs and such, as you might well imagine."

HTH--

I put a Phantom Grip in my R200 for the 280Z. Took a little work to get it in, but not too bad. I haven't run the car yet, but I know both wheels turn now :D. Still have to get a driveshft made and finish up the engine install, curse this cold spell :evil:

- Joe

How hard was it to install yourself?(looks easy enough to me...I just installed new steering rack bushings in my 280Z and a new coupler it can't be harder than that)

Did you need any special tools to take measurments, or did you just use feeler gauges?

Let me know how that works out for you.

Isk

I installed mine and it was not hard at all. I did have the rear end on the bench at my shop which made it much easier. I did have to surface grind a small amount off of the Phantom Grip so it would fit between the spider gears. I also dis-assembled the unit and counterbored the spring pockets and installed stronger springs.

Mike D.

Jon, a.k.a. Jumbo240ez has been running a Phantom Grip for about two years now I believe. He also had to do some trimming on it to fit I believe. His Z is a street and road course track V8 car with a Tremac 5 speed. He doesn't post much here anymore but you should be able to find his e-mail through the members list.

That red Z in my sig pic is his car.

i live down the street from jon, last i heard he still had the pg in it. i remember when he put it in. i can go ask if he still has it in there. he seemed to like it. it spun both tires!

Hi Len

I've trying to reach you' date=' your phone is out and I don't know if you email address is current. Anyway, contact me if you see this. We can talk about setting up a dougnuts course as well :wink:[/quote']

Believe me, first thing I will attempt to do once I install the diff is to lock the wheel left and spool dump it. If it doesnt do them I wont be too mad though, since I will be doing a cv at the same time.