HybridZ

4 valve V-8s

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all I was just wondering if there are 4 valve V-8s (other than the LT5 and Northstar).

I was wondering if one of these motors would be worth it or just sticking with my first idea of using a 305 with twin turbos.

http://www.araoengineering.com/

I do not advise you buy these, I was about to purchase a set but when I started asking lots of specific questions about referances and other happy customers I was quickly and totally stonewalled as to answers and further E-MAILS and phone calls were ignored, it seems that if your willing to just send them $6000 thats fine but if youll want to know how other peoples engines run with those heads youll get no info other than the one printout of a build they did for a magizine several years ago! now if you had a product that worked well don,t you think that you would be shouting to the world about all the people winning races with your parts? in 35 years Ive seen two sets and both were on show cars not racers or dailly drivers. this is the last response I got

"PAUL,

MY APOLOGIES, ARE IN NEED HERE . I HAD ALOT GOING ON THIS

WEEK.ACTUALLY EVERY BODY DID!I HAVE MOST OF THE INFO. READY FOR YOU . I AM

WAITING HOW EVER FOR OUR NEWEST IN CAR DYNO TEST RESULTS TO GET HERE.I KNOW

THEY PRODUCED ABOUT 600H.P TO THE REAR WHEELS WITH AN EVERYDAY DECENT STREET

MOTOR IN AN ALL STEEL 1956 CHEVY STEPSIDE TUCK .SO I DO APOLOGIZE FOR THE

DELAY.I HAVE ADDED CHEVYTALK TO OUR LINKS PAGE AND I'VE TAKEN SOME TIME TO

READ SOME OF THEIR FORUM CHATS AND WAS VERY HAPPY WITH SOME INFO I WAS ABLE

TO FIND . I ALSO WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR INSIGHT ABOUT OUR 32valve

HEADS. I WILL GET THAT MAILED OUT THIS WEEK."

yet no further info ever showed up even after several E-MAILS and phone calls

Guest Anonymous

The ford cobra motor is 32 valve isn't it? (I know its a ford and it sounds like you were talking GM) Might be a bit wide for a Z, thats been disputed a time or two around here.

Lone

Yeah, the 96-98 Mustang Cobras have 4 valve heads. There's a guy in Alabama with a 98 Cobra w/T-trim Vortec running 10.78@129 on the stock motor. He holds the record for World's Fastest Stock Long Block Mustang. The 4 valve setup is so efficient that he's pushing 18 psi on the stock motor and launching at ~5000rpm. He's been up-ing his launch rpm seeing if the motor will go because he has a built motor ready to go it. It just won't let go. He's broke two rear ends and a transmission trying. Not bad for a stock motor-ed Stang.

Sorry for the ramble but, yeah, the Cobras are 4v and yes, they are well worth it if you use FI.

E

• 5 months later...

I know this is a little old, but I just wanted to update on the stock long block thing. Some guy on one of the SVT forums just posted a 10.06 at 131 (I think it was 131) with the stock block. This is an 03 Cobra with IRS and Kenne Bell supercharger with some exhaust and other mods. Still waiting for the motor to break. He's pushing close to 800RWHP on the stock block (and maybe fuel system, not sure yet). Anywho, the 5.0 Cammer motor looks like it might be nice with a little modding to the shock towers

I like the 03 cobra, checked one out week before last at the dyno's. Very impressive almost 430 hp at the wheels :shock: Daily driver as well!

Mike

I also like the Ford DOHC V8 engine, too bad it doesnt fit in the Z.

I only wish someone made a DOHC V8 that would fit in the Z w/relative ease. I have searched the net for pictures of DOHC V8's; seems there are a lot of write up's on DOHC V8's but not too much in the way of viriety of actual pictures of DOHC V8's.

Ok, who is going to be the first to stuff a Ford DOHC V8 in an early gen.Z?

I'll provide the Z if someone else wants to provide "MY Z" w/the DOHC V8 :D

Anyone seen pictures of Nissan's new Titan Full Size P/Up? It is suppose to be getting a 5.6 DOHC V8 w/respectable hp/torque numbers. The Titan is to be revealed in NY in April 2003.

It appears the DOHC V8 wars have begun...still wondering when GM/Mopar will be using a DOHC V8 in their cars cross the board: they cant ignore Ford, Toyota, and Nissan forever.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Before I Cam to Hybrid Z i would have agreed with you Kevin. I have always been a fan of small engine that you could rev the hell out of. I am Not convinced that a 4 valve head is needed in engines larger then 5.0 lts. You just dont rev them Hard enough and if you do it costsa lot more $ to modify them to be able to live with it. 4 cams instead of 1 and so forth. The overhead valve engines seem to be much smaller and lighter as well. I guess what i am trying to say is that for a specific realistic power output its going to be much cheeper to get it from a pushrod engine. I noticed the other day that the Gen 4 chevy engine is still a push rod all be it a twin cam like the new harly engines.

Douglas

Douglas, I agree. For streetable power levels, a 5.7+ Liter engine can make good torque and power in a reasonable rpm range with good two valve heads and pushrods. Tweak an LS6 and there's plenty of capability as well, if a "higher tech" solution is desired.

If I wanted crazy HP on the street, I'd do a turboed V8, with a moderate amount of boost, tuned to have it come in at 2000 rpm or below. Driving a 500+ hp car that goes from 350lbft to 500 lbft like a switch at 3500+ (high rpm tuned turbo setup) would be dangerous. Cubes enable a lower pressure turbo system that could cover a lower street-reasonable powerband, while allowing plenty of power.

Chevy has always been able to lay the hand down to Ford with power. Then again, Chevy has always been a little bigger in displacement.

As to a DOHC V8 that might fit, the Northstar should do it. Relatively small from my understanding and lightweight. The http://www.chrfab.com guys are working on a bellhousing to adapt a T56 to it.

I think a small displacement V8 with a set of twin ball bearing turbos would be awesome. Keep them small and they'd be ready to go at the touch of the go pedal. Plus with a AFC and boost controllers (or just a stand alone EMS) you could tune power levels on the fly. Take it down for the street, then push it out at the track. Expensive set up, but turbos are always fun.

Then again, an LS1 or built 350 always sounds fun.

I agree about the "reasonable power/rpm range" issue. But with the rising costs of pump fuel I dont think GM & Morpar can ignore the benefits of a SOHC/DOHC V8's much longer.

When speaking of "reasonable" it is a relative term. Only relative to exp's to make the engine -vs- the market's needs. It is only a matter of time before GM will be forced to go SOHC/DOHC V8 as Ford already has, clear cross the board. Surely GM is paving the way for the DOHC engines via Olds & Cadillac. Once that is old tech the other lines will be handed that tech.

Surely GM & Mopar already have their DOHC V8's waiting in the shadows, clear cross the board, as most auto mfg's usually are 10 years in advance of the RPO market. Whether the choice of DOHC V8's will be the Olds/Cad engines who can say. I would venture a guess that the gas prices have not risen enough to justify the exp's of the better breathing/better fuel mileage of the DOHC's.

I like the push rods V8's as I am more familiar with them...but the power potential/fuel mileage of a DOHC V8 intrigues me.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Who says the DOHC 4.6 won't fit? I've posted measurements before - it would be tight but I think it just might fit.

BTW - there's an '03 Cobra around here laying down 500RWHP on the stock block. I've seen posts of 700+RWHP on a Kenne Bell blown '03 Cobra...

:P The pick a parts I frequent always have several if not "many" Japanese, Chrysler, Subaru, Ford, 2.4L-3.0L turbo engines. Small turbos with H2O cooled bearings. If one stays away from high boost (say 5-8#), two of these might work w/o intercoolers on a 5.0 L Ford or Chevy. Has anyone out there attempted this on a FI car w/o going overboard. Low bux Turbos, anyone?

gw

I posted something about the new DOHC (quad cam) V6's that GM is building. Sounds like they will eventually shift that to the V8. With upwards of 370+ boosted HP, it may be replacing a few V8s here and there. Anyone for a boosted V6 Camaro?