HybridZ

Cadilllac, Northstar Swap

Rube240z

Has anybody done the 4.6 Northstar engine swap? I've been looking for possible engines and the Northstar stood out because of the size, weight and hp this engine puts out. I've been all over the CHRF site and I read this article in Street Rodder Magazine (which really got me thinking about this engine), but I still haven't heard of any Z cars with this swap. I didn't find any info in the search section of this site. Thanks for any info on this engine.

Welcome to hybrid Ruby! :D

The idea has been kicked around here for a long while. When the new site goes up the search function will work again and then you'll get some good info. Untill then all I can offer is that I know of no one here that has had the cahonies (sp.?) to try it. We got sbc, sbf, tpi, LT1, LS1, a variety of RB's, Toyota mills, and even a Wankle, but no Caddy North Star. Somebody slap me if I'm wrong but I think you would be the first.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
...Untill then all I can offer is that I know of no one here that has had the cahonies (sp.?) to try it. ... Somebody slap me if I'm wrong but I think you would be the first.

I've got the cahonies and the idea, just not the $$$. I would kill to be able to have the $$ to do a supercharged northstar swap.

I know there was a thread where someone was in the midst of this swap, but I dont know if it was ever completed. The thread was from back in 2002 I believe. Just wait for the search to come back up.

Has anybody done the 4.6 Northstar engine swap? I've been looking for possible engines and the Northstar stood out because of the size, weight and hp this engine puts out. I've been all over the CHRF site and I read this article in Street Rodder Magazine (which really got me thinking about this engine), but I still haven't heard of any Z cars with this swap. I didn't find any info in the search section of this site. Thanks for any info on this engine.

The only problem I see, is that the Northstar is a front-wheel drive motor. ;)

Actually Jamie T., Member here (And Buddy of mine) had bought a northstar motor and had moched it up. I believe it would have bolted in with few mods and been a very nice transplant... He got derailed with a Turbo Swap, now doing an LT1, Next week doing a Jag V12, kinda requirements creep... I'd know nothing about that in a project! :D

Mike :lol:

Guest JAMIE T

I sold my N-star to a member here who has planned to install it in a Fiero. Mike is correct. The engine fits. You can use a T5 from '93+ F-bodies. It's the world class version of the tranny, and bolts in with very little modifications. Plus, they can be had for about $300 from any wrecking yard. Mike is also correct that the longer my project drags on, I will likely mak about 10 more engine choices before one actually lands in the engine bay. I'm a HP junky, the N-star was going to cost too much to make the HP I want(need?). I've got both the LT1 and the L28ET, so we'll see what happens next.

I'm not ready for the swap yet (its's the money that I have less of) but I think the Northstar with no modification, will be a sweet engine for my 240, which has a 280 block and the e31 head. It's not a bad combo, but most of you know what I'm talking about when I say I need more power. A friend of mine has a 2001 Cadillac Eldorado and that car can move for its size. So I'm kind of sold on the engine. Just would like more info on this swap. Thanks for the info and input.

Guest JAMIE T

Alan(CHRfab) used my idea of the remote mount electric waterpump. I was starting my swap when he was just getting up to speed and we chatted back and forth on the phone and email about some of the problems with converting it to rear drive and getting the engine to set back. Until then, he was still installing the engines forward to make room for the rear mounted water pump.