HybridZ

I need some objective non Z related input.

I`ve been working on a 93 pontiac lemans that has me baffled. It is sputtering through the exhaust, and sounds like it is missing on one cylinder.

So far I have replaced the cap,rotor,plugs,wires,fuel filter,fuel pump and pickup screen.(basic normal tune up parts)

I`m getting a lean O2 reading on the diagnostic,(hence the new fuel pump) but no other codes have shown up.

I`m also getting a backfire through the intake under acceleration. it does sound very much like it is running out of fuel, but it has better than 1/2 a tank.

I have checked compression, and all cylinders are within specs (159-175psi) I have even put air pressure to each cylinder,and turned the engine over by hand until the valves closed to be sure that I had no burnt valves.

Any thoughts? :?

It still could be a bad injector. The injector could be clogged or mechanically jammed and the ohm reading would still be right. If you can get ahold of one you can use an injector pulser and a pressure guage on the and watch the pressure drop from each injector seperately. Maybe you can rent one of these pulsers. I have one you could borrow if you can't find one locally (I'm about two hours away form you)

Good luck

I didn`t have time to do the checks that I planned, but I did put a vacume gauge on it.

I have 15 to 16 inHg with a very very slight fluctuation between the two.

vacume is a little toward the low side but still within specs. The slight needle fluctuation suggests a fuel problem.

The engine has a positive pressure egr valve on it that is difficult to diagnose for a vacume leak. A minor leak at the egr could also result in the low floating needle.