HybridZ

Tail Light Lens Request

BillZ260

Pulled my tail lights apart last night to get them cleaned up. Exhaust fumes had blackend the driver side pretty good on the inside. So everything is going fine untill my last lens and the thing cracks! ( :idea: We need a homer DOH emoticon here) It is the upper Driverside lens, 280 style. Does anyone have the left assembly, or even better, the seperate lenses that they are not going to use? Let me know? If all fails, I will have a cracked lens untill I come up with my 'custom' set up after the car is running.

Has anyone pollished their lenses out? The datsun restore book said something about buffing the lens faces with a compound and I was wondering how will this works.

Thanks!

Bill,If you want the absolute best shine on the tail lens or front signal for that matter, start by removing the assembly carefully,it helps if the unit is very warm to pull it apart.

Then start sanding the outside face with a DA or by hand using 240# then 320# and so forth till you are at 1500 #.It goes faster then it sounds.If done by hand ,use a firm hand block. The way I've done it for 25 years is to sand the raised letters completely down and then use automotive paint compound or better yet,3M's Finese-it polish.You should have that on the shelf already if your paint looks worth a darn. :oops:

Anyway, polish to perfection,I use a Buffer set at low RPM, the buffer on auto-lock between my knee's upside down,and hold the lens in my hands,having already applied the polish on the lens before lowering to buff pad .You'll get the hang of it !

If your careful and pay attension ,they'll better than new ...Guaranteed ! :D

Let me know what ya' think,and good luck :cheers:

.........Vince

• 1 year later...

Meguiars sells a product called Mirror Glaze #17 Proffessional Plastic cleaner. Although Vintage-TechZ's method will give you a superior shine this product works very well for general polishing of almost any plastic. I use it often with great results.

I made a post about this a while back.

240hoke is correct, this thread is over 1 year old. Troy, there is a vendor's forum on thissite for businesses to sell their products. Bringing up a very old thread like this for the purpose of a sale is in bad taste. You are free to answer technical questions, etc, as does Ross Corrigan of MML or Mike Knell of JTR, but please stick to the vendor's forum otherwise.

Thank you.

Davy