HybridZ

So, Im installing a cage in my Z,

Guest MistaFosta

Guest MistaFosta

And as we stripped the Z, we found out that there are rot holes in the bottom of the floorpans, so out they go, and in goes new steel.. Heres some pictures, so you can see the progress..

a.jpg

Luckily, we have fire protection.

b.jpg

New tires, ala SASSY! Lil bit big, but I will add coilovers and lift it to clear

c.jpg

New floorpan on the passenger side

d.jpg

h.jpg

More of new. The hole is my old transmission "service" hole. It will be patched as well...

f.jpg

Testing the strength.

g.jpg

My crazy Japanese roommate....

i.jpg

I decided to not bother putting an engine in, Im gonna power it flintstone style!

Lemme know any thoughts or concerns. We are making the Cage to be track legal for drag racing, so any info on legal Z cages would be nice, since the NHRA rulebook is a bit sketchy.

Guest MistaFosta

The next weekend...

got both the floorpans in, and 1 of the subframe connectors in too. Should be started on the cage soon...

11151623557_0.jpg

Installed extra metal for cage support

11619068805_0.jpg

Frame rails Ready to go in

11151441669_0.jpg

Floor pans in, time to cut them up for the subframes.. :(

11636673157_0.jpg

One in, one to go.

Guest MistaFosta
Man, I'm liking the idea of those frame rails...if you're interested in making some dough, maybe you could make them for my Z? No rush, I was going to look someplace local but seeing yours got me thinking.

I was actually wondering if there is a market for those. I get the steel for very cheap, and I would be happy to make them for a reasonable price.

I used some modified dimensions from a link I got from Pete Paraska's site to start with, but we changed a few things, networking the subframes in a little differently, and worked it in. I can still measure out the originals and make a few sets if people are interested, with instructions on what to cut out, weld to, ect ect...

Lemme know if your still interested, and what you feel would be a good price, since I have no idea what these go for...Also provided Pete says its okay, since I used his base measurements to work off of, so I give credit to him for the hard work.

Guest MistaFosta
Might want to check that fire extinguisher' date=' appears to be discharged!

Quick-someone get the marshmellows![/quote']

Luckily, I got a backup one! Yah, we noticed that right before we started to weld. Luckily we haven't had to use either, water and blowing on the fires have put them out so far. :oops:

Guest MistaFosta
Are you completely replacing the stock rails with those ones you fabricated? Or are those an "In addition" kinda dillyo?

Im just connecting the front frame section (rails for the engine) and the rear frame section (suspension area) Essentially connecting the two partial (sub) frames to create a whole. The metal that these are replacing was the VERY thin factory floorpan (20g steel i think) which didn't allow for much frame rigidity.

I can already see a stiffness increase. I jacked the car up on the front part of one frame rail, and both wheels on that side came up together, and the opposing wheel came up right behind them. VERY little chassis flex now, so Im hoping my door re-adjusting days are over. I can't wait till the cage is in, we should have it done sunday, I will give you pictures of the progress on the cage.

VERY little chassis flex now, so Im hoping my door re-adjusting days are over.

Man, that would be nice, wouldn't it? Do you have one of the early Z's or a later one with the improved door striker? The floor pans on my 70 are fine. But if the frame ties fix the door problem, then it would be worth tearing up the stock undercarriage. Maybe I should look into the bolt in set from that convertible place. Keep us posted on the door thing.

Would these and a cage keep my car from twisting if I put slicks on it? How well do you think they'd hold up to the abuse over time?

I am also interested. Maybe there will be a price listed by summertime. :)

Not talking about the diff...just the chassis flex.

Edit: Let me add: this is a street car so I can't have my cage blocking the doors or crossing the rear hatch at a diagonal. I would only be using a "daily-driver" cage to meet track rules and prevent my car from twisting.

Guest MistaFosta
Would these and a cage keep my car from twisting if I put slicks on it? How well do you think they'd hold up to the abuse over time?

I am also interested. Maybe there will be a price listed by summertime. :)

Not talking about the diff...just the chassis flex.

Edit: Let me add: this is a street car so I can't have my cage blocking the doors or crossing the rear hatch at a diagonal. I would only be using a "daily-driver" cage to meet track rules and prevent my car from twisting.

Well, I am caging the car as well (8pt chris alston chassisworks cage) and networking the cage to the subframes (will show pics), 1/2 the reason Im doing it is for chassis stiffness.

Ive been told that the cage REALLY will help with stiffness, and since Im going to a r230 soon, and plan on using ET streets, We shall see how much it helps. Ill keep everyone updated, of course.