HybridZ

GM 6.5L diesel turbo... IHI RHC6?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

Does anyone know where I can get information on Borg-Warner/IHI turbo's?

Specifically, I was given a IHI turbo that came off a '94 6.5 turbo diesel GMC. Interestingly, the flange is a T3, and the compressor has 3" inlet, and a 2 1/2" outlet. The exhuast flange looks just like the WRX ones. The turbine housing doesn't LOOK any bigger than the stock Nissan T3. Though, the wheel is larger. I've started re-clocking it to match the Z configuration. But, my car is no where near ready for installation. I'm jsut looking for anyone who has used this in a performance application.

Info:

Borg-Warner/IHI

Spec GM-4

P/N: 10154652

S/N: 006550

That info is on the riveted-on tag.

The compressor housing has 51T/32 cast into it.

How do I go about finding A/R's and wheel info, and maps?

I've done somemore searching, I think this is a RHC6.

A guy on the jyturbo list say's when used as twins on a V8 they can make an easy 600-800hp. The compressor is similarly sized to a T04E .50, and the turbine is between a .63 and a .82 a/r.

one point of interest is the internal wastegate is much better than generally available T3's. Supposed to have no boost creep. We'll see.

Jamie, I've been searching high and low for some info on these turbo's. I've been told by someone on the jyturbo list that it's basically the same setup as a Buick GN. If you can take off the compressor housing and exhaust housing you could measure the wheels and then find the correct maps at Majestic Turbo.com. They list the maps as well the inducer and exducer measurements. Any turbo shop should be able to tell you what the torque values are when re-assembling. I would be very interested in this info.

Bernard

The dimensions on the RHE7 Impeller Wheel look suprisingly similar to the IHI stationary air compressor package they tried to market here through Cooper Turbocompressors. ("An adaptation of IHI's successful Internal Combustion Turbocharger Technology" was how it was presented!)

That was a bitchin' little air compressor. Two stage, tilting pad bearings, 120,000 shaft speed driven by a variable speed DC motor running at 7500 rpm through a step up gearbox. 110 or 100 psi models were both available with Titanium Impellers....

Never made the grade, primarily due to the inability of the Japanese to adapt the control system ot a constant-pressure variable flow design. They were On-Off modulation, (load-unload) which just didn't suit the needs of a small compressor installation.

Guest JAMIE T

Bernard, I saw your post over there about those, some guy said it was too big for your application. Who is he kidding? I've got this in my hand and can assure you it is NOT too big for a 2.8L-3.0L engine. Of course that depends on what you consider TOO big. The turbine looks about right. If it is infact between a .63 and .82 a/r, then it is probably EXACTLY what I'd want. The compressor is very similarly sized to my .85 a/r Rotomaster Hi-Flow. That housing is supposed to flow enough for 500+hp, mine has a 60-1 wheel. I'm going to check some of the specs on the wheels. Time to get out the mic's.

I'm not sure how the RHE, and RHF's compare to the RHC's in terms of output ability. I saw that website last night. I wasn't to imressed by it. Honestly, this "appears" to be similar sized to a big T3/T4 hybrid turbo. I'd say 400hp is do-able with one of these.

Guest JAMIE T

update...

The compressor wheel is the exact same demensions as a T04B V-trim. The turbine is so close to a T3 stage III that, i'd call it that. I mic'ed them. Now if I only knew the a/r of the housings, I'd be in business.

Great info Jamie..........

When I found that site I linked to you I guessed that the "expert" that replied didn't know what he was talking about. 8)

Could you post the dimensions of the turbine wheel? What is the outlet size? Bigger than the stock t3??

Bernard

Guest JAMIE T

Turbine wheel Exducer is @2.12", the major is @2.41

So, that's real close to the size of a stage II T3 wheel. Not the stage III like I originally thought.

Are you asking about the exhuast outlet? You could easily a do 3" downpipe without any problems. I've installed one of Turbo XS's WRX turbo back systems on the same flange, I'm sure of it. Very trick. I'll try to find a pic of it.

Guest JAMIE T

TXS_TBE_web_Black2.jpg

It's alittle hard to see in this pic, but the pipe coming off the flange is not round. It is more oval like, then transitions into round tubing. It's hard to explain, but it makes a much better situation for the WG. The WG gas can flow smoothly out into the exhaust stream. The outlet is something like 4"x2.5"

• 3 years later...