HybridZ

Has Anyone used a "Vintage Air" system?

MYRON

Good Afternoon All,

I tried the search function and didnt have any luck... I am looking to see if anyone has used an aftermarket air conditioning system in their car. The car has the original A/C but is has been "open" for so long and it has also been laying around a dirty atic, garage, back yard and shed for many years now. I am not real confident that it is much good anymore. It also seems to take up alot of space and it is pretty heavy. Any info would be great..

Thanks,

Myron

While I have never purchased from Vintage Air (but always plan too) I have been to their shop numerous times. They always have time for me, and always invite me to check out the shop and the newest project. Jack Chisenhall is a really nice guy in business and in person, and I would not hesitate to recommend his products to anyone. (plus his 200+ MPH street legal Studebaker is insane! I can never stop poking around that car.)

stop by San Antonio sometime and check out the shop and grab a catalog.

P.S. To answer your question, I know of two or three members on this board that have used vintage air in their first gen Zs. but for the life o me I cannot remember who they are. I do think you should check out the photo albums here, and on 240Z.org. I know there are several pictures posted on this out there.

Hi all. I'm using a vintage air unit. It's there gen2 system. just click on the www icon at the bottom of my post to see the pictures. It's at least half the weight of the original system. I'll be charging the system up in a couple of weeks. I'll report back on it's performance.

Hey,

Looking for the link to the pics but dont see it!... I will look around on their web site to see if I can get a better idea of what you have... If you dont mind me asking, what did you have to give for it? and did it include the comprosser and all the lines?

Myron

MikeKz has used it for a while now.

My question is, how do I install it? I have a rollcage and there's no way to drop the dash without cutting it in half!

Rather than do that, I was thinking of sitting the unit on the back shelf behind the seats and run ducting up to the ceiling and have it blowing down on the seats.

Owen

Looks good Mike. What controls did you use? I see that they(Vintage Air) have a couple of options. Under dash knobs or a flat dash mount panel?. My little bro has a 240 with a factory installed "aftermarket looking" unit that is all pretty much under the passanger side dash that looks like a pretty simple "bolt up" option. I am going at this project totally different than I did the first Z. It is more fun spending money on guages and cool engine parts than an AC unit that is not very exciting to look at BUT for the most ergonomic and streetable car you gotta start with the basics... I have a HUGE list of the things I want to have in the car and I just gotta figure the order to put them in.... Seeing your AC has just moved that item to the top of the list!...

Myron

I'd still have to remove my dash...what about those "underdash" units that have the built-in vents and everything? All I need is for the car to get cool, the air doesn't have to blow on a specific part of me, and I could always snake some vent tubes around.

Owen

• 1 year later...

Just to chime in, I'm also looking to install a Gen II evaporator in my 240Z. It is a ways off though. I already have the Sanden 508 compressor (modded for R-134), bracket, aftermarket condensor and enough hose to fabbed the Hi and Low sides. The only things needed are a few fittings, control panel and a dryer. The Gen II seems to be the best solution for real a/c, heat and defrost. I like the idea of servo controlled flaps and blending of vents. The three vent assembly appears to be no bigger (maybe smaller) than the OEM unit. The only drawback I envision is recirculated air only. Maybe, just maybe, there is a way to incorporate the fresh air duct too! Has anyone priced out just the evaporator? I know that VintageAir, HotRod Air, etc. do not make a kit specifically for the Z so it will need to be cobbled together.

The only drawback I envision is recirculated air only. Maybe, just maybe, there is a way to incorporate the fresh air duct too! Has anyone priced out just the evaporator? I know that VintageAir, HotRod Air, etc. do not make a kit specifically for the Z so it will need to be cobbled together.

hotrodair.com say they have a new fresh air option on their site.

Please post any pictures of progress made, would be interesting.

The whole datsun heater/blower systems is to be removed, correct?

I am wondering how serviceable things like the heater core and such will be a few years down the track?

Most use the cable or vacuum system to control air flow. The servo unit is a stepper motor that allows you to blend heat and a/c to moderate the temp not relying on the fan speed alone. Int the old days it was freeze or swelter. The thermostat would cycle the compressor but the air out was the same temp when on. You could adjust the heater control to control temp but it required two steps and still flucuated at the vent. Also, defrost works much better with dehumidifed air. Running the a/c, but adjusting the temp for warm, does just that and the windshield clears quicker. Modern cars operate the a/c in defrost without your input for this reason. According to Vintage Air you can also adjust the output from vent to floor or somewhere in between for you choice of comfort.