HybridZ

Help keep me from chopping my hood

zeeboost

Put the new carb on (Holley Street Avenger 670) and now the hood won't close on my 280zx. I wanted to try to keep the hood stock, but now I don't have much of an option. It's a shame, too, because this hood is completely straight and rust free. But then again I remind myself that it's a zx so it's value isn't as high to me as the original Z, so it's not exactly "mutilating" :lol:

The only other thing I can think of is if I buy one of those air filters that has a setup like a "T" (the quotes being the air filters) which is supposed to help with hood clearance, but they cost over $250 (in the Summit catalog, at least) and I really don't feel like spending that much on an air filter, seeing as how I just dumped $1100 into the engine. :?

A $50 hood scoop seems more in my range, but anyways, like I mentioned earlier, I would rather choose to not resort to that option. What would you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance for the replies

I had the same problem on a Camaro. What I did was get one of those cheap triangular high flow air filters from a freind (I think it was made by edelbrock)and use that. I did cut the flange down about a half inch for more clearance (It is thin sheet metal that was easy to cut and file.)

The carb that was on it before was an Edelbrock 600...not sure exactly what kind, it just came with the car.

Tim -- that wouldn't be a bad idea -- I'll have to measure to see how much clearance i have, but if there's enough I could possibly route that "cap" to put a cone air filter right behind the little triangle induction in the hood. I could kill two birds with one stone there :2thumbs:

Is that HeavyZ's car? I've always liked the way his scoop looked on his Z. I had thought about one earlier, but I kinda figured that it would hurt my aerodynamics, so I ruled it out. Although I have thought about doing I scoop such as this one:

433542_1_full.jpg