HybridZ

Starter

Ok guys... need a little help

I need to find a gear reduction starter for the L6

I got the Haltech all set to go, but when I try to start it, there is so much load on the starter that it takes power away from the computer.... thus, not feeding it fuel or enough spark to start it... :(

Any leads?

Are you certain that it isn't a matter of wire sizing/placement or a weak battery?

To keep the fuel pump and ignition as hot as possible, they should not be taken off the 'battery' post of the starter, but from wiring that is hooked somehow to the positive post of the battery. (This eliminates the voltage drop of the big wire going from battery to starter while engine is cranking).

A good ground strap to the body from the battery's negative post (as well as a healthy negative battery cable to the block) is also needed.

Finally, squeaky clean battery posts/connectors have less voltage drop.

OK, so you already checked all this... guess I just like to type. :?

I think ZX's all had the gear reduction starters. Supposedly not as reliable as the regular starters. You might try taking the starter you have apart and cleaning the brushes and the stator (is that what it's called? the big thing with all the wires). I've taken a few apart and just cleaned them regreased the bushings and reinstalled and they've worked quite a bit better.

Jon