HybridZ

California Peoples, need your opinion on weekend trip.

Sparky

Hey gang,

Yet again I am calling on all those the are in California, or anyone that has been. here is the deal.

My Girlfriend and I are taking a weekend trip mid march. we dont want to stray to far from Monterey, and we dont have alot of cash. We are looking for ideas for a nice affordable weekend getaway in the central, or northern california area. we dont have to spend the entire weekend in one place, but also dont mind it.

is there any event that we shouldnt skip around mid march? what are the best snowboarding mtns in Cali. should I just accept the fact that im going to be spending alot of money.

hmm..... whadayall think.

-S

Anywhere in Tahoe has some good stuff. As long as it keeps raining here (the Bay Area), the mountains will be getting snow. I like Sierra at Tahoe a lot for snowboarding. Not too expensive and good backside to the mountain. Sacramento might be a good place to stay. Roughly an hour and a half away from the mountains and isn't all that expensive. You could even head over to old town Sacramento, which is kinda a neat place.

Come to think of, when exactly are you coming? March 6th, there's a thing that John C. is setting up in southern California that would be worth coming out to.

You could go camping at Lime Kiln. Just try and get a reservation now, because they are usually booked.

Also, if you want to spend a couple hundred bucks, there is NOTHING better on the planet IMO than a weekend at Sycamore Mineral Springs in Avila Beach. It's so romantic you'll never leave the room, if you know what I mean. I used to go there every Valentine's Day with my wife, some wine, cheese and chocolate. Good times. 8)

If you want to go snowboarding in March, you'll probably need some pretty good elevation like Tahoe.

Jon

thanks for the tips guys, Tahoe is making its way to the top of the list, but the first round of trying to find an affordable hotel has turned up close to nil. How has the pass been from Sac. to Tahoe? its been a while since Ive been up that way, and dont remeber if it was a harry ride or not. we might spend friday and saturday night in tahoe, then drive over to the wine country for a sunday night stay. who knows...

thanks for the tips...hope to see more!

well, she lives in monterey, and both of us have spent plenty of time there, so its time to go somewhere else. I have been to cali countless times and have been to just about every part, but she has only lived there 8 months, and has been limited to seeing LA, monetery and the local areas, and san francisco...so i just figured that we should go somewhere that she has never been.

...peronally...I would be fine with lounging in Monterey for the entire week, but shes wants to "getaway" from school...

completetly understandable.

Just drive up tp the north side of Monterey Bay and go to the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, visit the surfing museum on Lighthouse Point, and wander around in downtown Capitola. You can also visit the cement ship (the Palo Alto) just south of Capitola in Aptos (I think). You can also see the world's largest Artichoke in Castroville and Watsonville (they both make the same claims for their largest Artichoke). Hang out at the intersection of Espinosa Rd. and 101 during the evening rush hour and watch people try to commit suicide getting onto Espinosa from the northbound 101. Drive hwy 17 between Santa Cruz and San Jose and watch people bounce off the K-rail.

Tahoe it is,

We just found a cabin at heavenly for a grat price, turns out thats the start of the off season up there. cant wait to go, and unfortunatly, I wont be able to make it to the HybridZ meet, some time though, I still looking at moving out that way, but have some things that I need to clear up here first.

thanks for the info everyone!

-S