HybridZ

flat spotted a tire, any cure?

Guest Chris240turbo

Guest Chris240turbo

I gave a friend a ride home from work tonight , never been to his house before, but the road from his house back towards mine has some really nice, medium speed sweepers, I had never driven this road before, and it was dark, well, to make a long story short, I ended up headed for a 90 degree bend at maybe 75 or 80 mph, in my new SER spec V sentra, I rolled on the brakes and managed to lock a front wheel (brembo brakes) and after making the curve immediately felt "thump thump thump thump" sure enough, passenger side front tire has a nice 4" flat spot, is there anything I can do to salvage this tire? has less than 7000 miles on it, I imagine I'll have to just buy a new tire, :roll: but I thought I'd check and see is someone here had a creative solution....

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I'd assume that you probably drove home with the tire like that. If so, you should be more concerned with the damage done to the belts in the tire and I would not even chance trying to salvage the tire. If you didnt drive it home then you might try Tim's suggestion.

In the future, I'd recommend learning the road (and your car) before you go 80MPH blindly down the street. You're lucky a tire is all that was lost, and not your life or someone else's.

Guest Chris240turbo

Nic, I value your opinion, just as I do with nearly everyone who frequents this site, and while you are certainly correct about possibly knowing the road before pushing too hard :oops: , I do not believe there was an undue amount of risk involved in this instance, I merely flatted a tire with an overly heavy application of the brakes, not a max effort, must scrub speed to make the curve and stay alive kind of a thing... I blame at least a small amount of this mishap on the fact that the stock continental tires make zero noise when they slip, although I could feel the lock up through the wheel.

P.S. my first street bike was an '86 450 Rebel, which I enjoyed, sometimes even at better than the posted limit on roads I was unfamiliar with :wink:

Yes, bad lad Chris.;) Yes too, flat spotted tyres may be skimmed, someone I know used a large lathe at work to do that. On certain surfaces you can flat spot a tyre when the wheel locks up without making a noise eg on a very thin layer of sand over tarmac. :?

Find a tire shop that has a tire skimmer. Many racers who have to run street tires have their tires skimmed down to the minimum tread depth.

I have yet to find any shop that shaves tires willing to risk their expensive blades on tires that have touched pavement. One little rock and the blade is junk.