HybridZ

New Aluminum Bolt on Radiator

Georgia Flash

no, those are jsut generic radiators designed to fit a chevy. But, since jtr guys can adapt them to be used with a v8 by using a $50 bracket and some fasteners, I think this is a much cheaper alternative.

MSA's prices on lots of things are outrageous. $500 for an aluminum driveshaft? $460 for an aluminum radiator?

large167020.jpg

Looking at the picture, is it me, or is there a possibility of stress cracks because aluminum is more brittle than copper?

No one that I've known with an aluminum radiator has bolted it on with a flange. Seems like a REALLY bad idea to me, especially since my Z tore up a brass radiator, and I'm thinking it was from flexing the rad support.

The people I know who have installed alum radiators made a couple of mounts about 6 inches wide that sat under the bottom corners of the radiator. The mounts were intentionally made big, so that they could use foam weatherstrip tape to line the mounts. They then used mounts that clamped down on the top of the radiator, also with foam weatherstrip.

I know AZC's alum radiator bolts in, and I guess the MSA does too, but it never looked like a good idea to me.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

ulises: i'd be careful if they welded brackets on. the minute you'll start taking hard turns, it'll be prone to cracking. this is why most of us mount the radiators with rubber isolators, suspended in mid air vs. bolting it to the frame