HybridZ

Completely ceramic engine?

materchan

i just watched a video called Miracales by Design and it had a part in it about a completly ceramic engine. the thing didnt even need a ratiator. the only thing i knew that they sometimes do ceramic is the turbo compressor. anyone have more information on this. this movie was made in 91 so its a little old. are there places that sell ceramic pistons?

Ceramics have excellent wear and heat tolerance properties. Making an entire engine from it is not practical though, as it doesn't have good impact resistance or tensile strength. It's main uses in an engine would be in piston coatings and cylinder linings, to protect the metals from heat and reduce wear.

Something tells me we will not see a ceramic connecting rod or crankshaft in the future. A ceramic piston would have issues holding up to rpm stress and detonation.

Guest 240zJake
Just wondering, but wouldn't the ceramic help with detonation by vastly reducing the temp in the combustion chamber??? Again, this is a learning question.

From what I've heard ceramic coatings do not reduce combustion chamber temps, they actually raise the temp in the chamber by not absorbing a lot of heat. The more heat the more pressure forcing the piston down thus more horsepower. It also allows higher temperatures (more boost) in chamber by preventing the pistons and valves from melting. Apparently the insulation of heat is what helps with detonation, detonation creates extreme temp pockets that can melt and cause failure in pistons and heads because they are more easily deformed/cracked at high temps, the coatings help because they keep the material at its cooler, and stronger, operating temps.

More on this can be found in How to Build Horsepower: Volume One by David Vizard, pages 17 and 18

Also check out Swain Tech Coatins @ http://www.swaintech.com/

Just wondering, but wouldn't the ceramic help with detonation by vastly reducing the temp in the combustion chamber???

You are probably referring to the silicone material uised for ther Space Shuttle's protective tiles. Those things can come out of a 2000 degree oven, and you could literally pick them up with your finger a few seconds later!

I think that there might even be carbon-based engine blocks, which should be much lighter than iron, aluminum, or ceramic, but not until saomebody comes up with a high-temperature resin. These should be strong enough not to crack, like a ceramic one might.

I like carbon, because just about anything organic can be recycled into carbon! Why didn't somebody think of this 50 years ago?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I read quite a bit on this topic when reading about solid fuel engines. Another problem in addition to the primary problems that SleeperZ mentioned, is lubrication. All moving parts still need lubrication and no lubricants can hold up to the temps. While the temps are not likely to be transferred to the oil, it is still possible because of spaces required for movement of parts.

If you want some double-interesting reading, read about the use of Boron as a fuel. This is very interesting reading about alternative fuel, and you should also find a wealth of information about alternate materials for engine building (since Boron burns at something like 20 times the temp of gasoline)