HybridZ

Contemplating a TIG welder...

Mike C

Trying to decide where to post this I have concluded there needs to be a "Tools" category. Seems these Q's always come up and it would be nice to have the reference point.

I am going to build a roll cage for my Jimmy with mild steel and MIG weld it. But for my Camaro and the Z, I would like to work with 4130 CrMo to control weight. With that said, I am contemplating buying a TIG welder. It seems that the Miller/Hobart Econotig and the Lincoln Squarewave 170 are still reasonable choices, but just a little more money gets you more welder, so I have ruled them out. Unless I can find a new one for less than $1000. Right now they are running about $1300-$1400. I have narrowed my choices down to 3 (well not really, but they are the front runners.) All are sold "ready to weld" more or less. The 3 are: Syncrowave 180 from Miller ~$1500 (all w/o cart), the Lincoln Precision TIG 185 ~$1600, and the ESAB 252 at about $2300. The ESAB doesn't really fit with these other two because it is a 300 amp machine. And it doesn't come with a foor pedal. And it costs 50% more. So the real war is waged between the Red and the Blue.

The ESAB is the welder I reallly want, but it will have to wait another year or more to come up with the extra scratch. But it would be a welder that would last a lifetime. Actually, any of them seem worthy of my hard earned green. So, any of you TIG gurus offer up your thoughts pro and con on each (I have my own thoughts, and it will be interesting to see what you guys conclude.)

Guest JAMIE T

Mike, I use a Miller syncrowave 351 at work. It is an absulute beast. I've not ever used any of the machines you mentioned. I have however used a Miller Dynasty 200. It is a VERY nice welder. Pricey though. I think you MIGHT be able to get the power supply, torch, and cool mate(liquid cooled torch set-up) for under $3000. I have been quoted $2500 from my welding supply salesman(we buy ALOT of welding supplies and equipment). That is my next tool purchase. It is a pulsing power supply, welds aluminum awesome. I like the TIG becuase you can weld any material with out changing spools, or gas. Just swap the tungsten, and switch the polarity, of course keep an assortment of rods. BTW, we just purchased 3 new Lincoln Power MIG 300's with python push/pull wire feeders. Straight MIG, pulse MIG, and pulse-on-pulse MIG. $5000 each. You might say I weld alittle. I highly recommend them to anyone who can afford a $5000 MIG.

If you want to weld CroMoly then you don't need a TIG. An oxy-acetylene torch will weld 4130. Some people claim it even does a better job of it:

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/faq__tig_vs__gas_on_4130.html

Here is another good link about welding 4130

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/chrome-moly.asp

Gotta worry about cracks.

Beyond that, if you truely want a TIG, then I say don't skimp.

If you want to consolidate welders, then Lincoln makes some motor driven welders that will do both MIG and TIG as well as power your house during a hurricane.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentseries.asp?browse=101|307|

I have had many good years with my Lincoln Square Wave 175. On the other hand I have experienced and heard good things about the Miller and ESAB. It boils down to what you want and can afford, like you say. You can do soooo much more when you have a Tig. It changes your whole perception of mechanics.

The Precision TIG 185 from Lincoln is supplanting the 175 at not much more money. But it has a wider power range, Micro-Start low amperage starting, AND a built in pulser. I like the case size of the Miller better, but no pulser which is $. I agree going bigger is better, but as much as I would want to, I can't ALWAYS buy professional tools. If I could, I wouldn't have posted this but just bought the Esab to begin with, added a watercooled torch, foot pedal, and water cooler.

I know you can torch weld 4130, but it is VERY difficult to do in a complete car. Chance of fire is high or damaging wiring, etc. One of the beautys of TIG is the relative small area affected by heat.

Thanks for the input, anybody else?

My only comments are to find a machine with adjustable pre and post flow, and something water cooled if you plan on doing a sizable amount of aluminum and/or heavy steel parts. You can get away without water cooling if you are doing just little things in aluminum and steel. I've built 2 complete cars at this point with a Hobart (can't recall model number just now) that wasn't water cooled, and while it would have been really nice at times doing the bigger stuff, (custom CV axles, aluminum uprights) it isn't necessary for the bulk of the use.

James just sent me some info on his Miller Sycrowave 250 and it looks like a great welder to me, and the price is right.

Are you talking new or used? The Synchrowave 250 new with built in watercooler and watercooled torch ("runner" they call it meaning ready to weld excep for gas) is $3300. But at least shipping is free... All of the welders I am considering have adjustable pre and post flow. I can get the esab for $2300 with a water cooled torch, but without foot pedal and water circulator. That will put it around $3000 also, and really knocks me out of the market this year at least.