HybridZ

Turbo pictures posted...

Z-Gad

I uploaded a few pictures into the photo album of the "temporary" turbo set up in my 280z. I had mistakenly placed them in the Events section (OOPS :oops: ). I finished rebuilding the motor and getting it in the car Saturday. I have driven it 200 miles and am going to the track tonight to beat on it (just a few low boost passes). I have to make sure if something major is going to go wrong, that it will go wrong here and not hundreds of miles from home in Georgia :D

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=1

See you all this weekend!!

Guest bastaad525

um... okay I know everyone thinks differently on this, and Z-gad I know you're one of the more knowledgeable guys here so please take no offense... but uh.. isnt it not such a good idea to go racing the car at all with only 200 miles on a fresh engine?

Thanks guys. I put another 100 miles on it today, lost a cylinder, found the dead cylinder, traced it down to the injector, replaced the injector and am back on the road again. You are right, there are always little gremlins lingering around the new motors...

I am not going for any great times tonight, just a few lower boost passes, but I'll let you know how it goes anyway... :2thumbs:

If I could wait another 700 miles, I would, but I have been beating on her pretty good today (10psi) without any ill effects.

thanks Rick, hopefully I won't need the piggy back, but I'll be happy to reserve the space, just in case :D

Well, just got back from the track. Good news and bad news...

God news, engine is solid and I feel confident that it will be fine.

I made only one pass at 10 psi, kinda easing it off the line and just going through the gears shifting early at around 6000 RPM's and falling slightly out of the turbo power band. The time was only 14.0 :oops: , but the MPH was promising at 105.3 and I gained nearly 25mph in the second 1/8th of the track. Overall, happy with this one...

Bad news... grenaded another outer CV housing. I did a mild burn out and blew the shaft at the line. I will now be scrambling to get another CV shaft together (for the VLSD) by Friday so I xcan bring it to Reynolds!! I have the outer 280zx CV housing which has been reinforced with a 1" steel ring pressed on and welded to the housing, I just have to find an 80-87 AMC Eagle 4 cylinder tripod (yikes!!)

Wow, blowing out CVs with less trap speed than I. I feel lucky I've not wrecked my stock u-jointed half-shafts! I always carry spares, but I was starting to think I was still safe at my power level. :shock:

Nice trap speed though, good luck!

If your only running 14's, I'd suggest avoiding the burnout boxes.. (unless you have drag tires and need to heat em up)

I have beat on my car for years at a time, and even now, I run stock nissan U joints. (on another note, I have very little squat, and my halfshafts sit almost parallel to the ground when the car is sitting) and they stay that way most of the time, so I believe I am getting max power distribution through the shafts... i must, because I have had the car for 14 years, and am only on my 3rd set of ujoints I went through my second set rather quick when I drove a whole year on the street with a welded 3.9 diff!!!

It always figures that a hard to find part is the part that breaks... make sure you buy a back up to bring... I bring a complete halfshaft with me when i go to the track.. at least I can change it and get home easily enough.. as long as I haven't damaged anything else. At our track events, someone always brakes something. Not exactly a great track record for the club, but it happens with these old cars..

Good luck to all of you!