HybridZ

I put up my MSnS setting, fuel map and igntion map

I replaced the sample pics in the install guide with actual pictures of my settings before tuning. These should be in the ballpark, but this is based on my engine and everyone elses will vary based on setup.

BTW, I ordered the tech edge wideband meter today. Real tuning shouldn't be far down the road.

You guys can't believe the difference in throttle response that losing the AFM and adding the 60mm TB has made. I did both at the same time so I can't say which was the bigger factor, but it is like having a new engine in the z car. Revs much faster in 1st gear and the low rpm power seems much better to me, seat of the pants of course. I am very happy with all of the upgrades so far. Can't wait to get things settled in a see the Gtech results. I have to come up with money for a real clutch before that can happen. In the mean time I will finish up tuning and intercooler install.

Moby,

Great progress. Would you mind posting your Megatune *.msq file to the Yahoo Group? You will find my normally aspirated map there too. I have been following your progress closely as I have been running Megasquirt for over a year now with great success. As soon as I get my car out of winter storage, I will be performing a L28 turbo swap and I would like to use Megasquirt-N-Spark.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirt/files/Megatune%20settings/

Thanks for your time,

Sims

BTW, I dug up this post from Scottie in the archives and figured everyone with a standalone could use the advice to help set up ignition timing. You'll notice I am running conservatively right now compared to what he says. Here it is to save the search:

Let me take a stab at this based on my experience when I was tuning my stock L28ET with SDS. DISCLAIMER: this is by no means gospel, just what worked for me and the same philosophy I follow today.

I once had a copy of the L28ET timing curve that was published by someone but it was on paper and long lost. Anyone remember paper? Even better joke if you are a "Waterworld" fan Full advance was in at 3000 and what I found to be a good starting point for tuning for pump gas (the quality could make a BIG difference) was a total of about 22-24* @ 15psi boost. If you follow a simple, linear map to retard 1* per 1psi boost, then you would want the full advance to be about 37-38* to have 22-23* total at 15psi boost (38* advance - 15* retard = 23* total). So, with an initial of 20*, you can then build a linear map to ramp the timing up to 38* advance at 3000. Since you are not likely to have 15psi boost below 3000, it should be perfect.

All the maps are linear in the example and that can be refined later when fine tuning if you feel the need to ramp differently on the way to full advance. You can also get more aggresive with the timing if there is no detonation. However, I fully believe more boost and less timing nets more power than less boost and more timing, as long as you are not detonating. Also, if you are not detonating and the EGTs are low (rich) you have the option to run more timing, turn down the FP or turn up the boost. Hmm, tough choice

That's pretty much the same timing map I'm using on my setup. Never even a hint of detonation. Great throttle response.

BTW, I'm running a MS on a 240Z track car with an L28, and I could not believe the difference in throttle respose between that and my 280Z. Real snappy!

Moby, what TPS are you using? I'm using a modified 300ZX unit on a 240SX TB.

Pete

Another thing you guys may want is the conversion factor between psi boost and kpa reading, since your MSnS ignition table is formatted in kpa.

psi of boost = (kpa-100)/6.9

I changed the bins in my table and I am now using

so that I get up to about 17.5psi, not that I am going to run there yet. But I may be at 16psi before you know it :D

Have fun.

My experience is that I'd prefer to run more timing and less boost up to a point.

For comparison, I was running ~12psi boost and a timing curve that was something like 20* initial, ramping to 36* total, and -1.5* per PSI boost leaving me at about 18* total timing at full boost.

Then I made some mods and dropped the boost down to about 10 psi, and added in a bunch more timing under boost. Probably -1* per psi, which left me at about 26* total timing at full boost. The results were similar in power, but with 2psi less boost being run to achieve the same power... more efficient with my setup for sure and less heat generated.

However I am sure there is middle ground somewhere between the 2 that will work well with 12psi boost and still a significant amount of timing. Joy!