HybridZ

side marker idea...

utvolman99

There are a lot of great ideas on side markers listed here. I have some questions

What is required by law on these sidelights?

Since the original design had front and back are both required?

The original are reflectors too, is this required and is there a minimum area required?

Can you have clear at both ends with colored bulbs?

Almost all cars now days have the taillights wrapping around the corners, so rear side markers are not required, they are integrated into the taillights.

It would be a complete bummer to do all of the work making this change to be pulled over and be told that the car is not legal on the street because of sidelights.

These are federal regulations that required side markers

Laws would be different for each state, Tim240Z shaved his front and rear marker lites but recently heard of a friend's friend being pulled over. Some cops will get you, some won't...it depends on their mood.

I don't think the laws get that specific as to brightness, area, etc. I'm just guessing that if it's original equipment, it should stay there (yeah right, hee hee!) . When I talked to Tim about this, it sounded like he was going to get magnetic-backed reflectors and stick them on for when he's on the street.

As for clear, I don't think it matters. The only things you need to worry about are the colors (legal colors) and if you're paranoid, are the lenses DOT approved?

Owen

• 1 month later...

Owen, I saw on your website about putting in power windows and door locks. You said you got them from Summit Racing but what were the item numbers? They have a ton of stuff and I can't seem to find the right ones. Thanks your car looks great!!

Thanks Owen. I don't have the money right know anyway. I have been thinking of what I want to do and gathering all the info for when I get around to it. So, quick question, what does the door panel look like now since you are done? And I'd love to see interior pics in general. I bet your car is just awesome.

Just to let anyone knwo if they are interested. This is the website for VPA:

http://www.auto-accessories.com/

They have cool stuff and cheeper then summit.

Thanks again,

Kyle

As always Dan, your car's awesome! Great shots in the mag too.

Kyle, here's some pix of my door panels.

http://www.v8zcar.com/sanmaruz/index.htm

http://www.v8zcar.com/s30z/interior3.htm

I actually don't use my door locks anymore as I have the door poppers. I'm probably gonna move them to my other car. If you're investigating windows, the ones for domestics seem better (they say for flat windows only) as the stock Z regulator isn't used. I STILL can't get my windows to roll up straight!

Something like this which lifts the window...should be able to work on a Z?

http://www.julianos.com/posi_glide.html

Mine is the VPA kit which uses a gear to turn the stock regulator.

Owen

No marker lights. Give me that clean look.

I laugh at the law! :twisted:

Actually Dan, I was scanning the CA Vehicle Code regarding the marker lights, and it appears that our cars do not need them. The requirement for side mounted lights are for vehicles of 80inches or wider in width....our cars (even your 'wide @ss' one) will not break that measurement.

I can provide the citation if you are not convinced.....

Tim

Again Owen Thanks,

It was a real pleasure to look through those pics you linked to me. THose door panels are preaty cool. All fiberglass I take it. So you just used the original masonite backing to your door panel and sculpted over it. I was thinking of something like that. Glad to see it work well.

Thanks again,

Kyle