HybridZ

HID lighting cheap for Zs?

Guest datsun280zmike

so do you guys think these work?

I think they will work, how weel I don't know but they should do fine. With that said, in order to make them work you will have to update/upgrade your electrical system to match the headlights. Do a search and you should find some good info. I think Pete has done quite a bit of work to improve his headlights.

I can't tell how long those lights are (front to back) from the pictures, but when I changed my headlights to a aftermarket euro style healight made for a VW, I had a problem with the back of the headlight fitting in the bucket, not the sugar scoop, but the bucket that the headlight itself installs into. I cut parts of the back out when I really just needed to pound the back out with a ball peen hammer for clearence.

!M!

Seems rather pricey. Couple of places (Summit for one) sell Halogen replacement kits. It's like $20 per for each lens shell thing and $20/pair for the bulbs. Still need relays (which this Sylvania kits seems to lack).

Also, it sounds like this is high beam only? They mention the need for a low beam kit. Also also, there's no mention of bulbs being included.

HAs high and low beams - Low are HID the high beam uses an H1 (efficient) halogen bulb.

They come with a separate harness "supplied as the existing vehicle wiring is not designed to support the high start-up current required for an HID ballast", which I would imagine has relays in it, but don't quote me...

Personally, I have always been fond of Cibie headlights, having replaced all sealed beam units on my cars with them (every size represented in the fleet over the years).

I'm not sure that the $300 difference in cost is worth it just for low beams. I could have aux lights in my air dam that would more than make up the diff for <=$150....

Guest datsun280zmike

the people at sylvania said theyd fit and are very bright white color just like the benzs infintitis etc (high end cars) and plus it does have a integrated high beam...i just ordered an set..ill let you guys know how it goes

mike

I think most of you guys aren't aware that HID's are entirely different from incandescent and halgeon lights. They produce a much whiter, 'cleaner' light, not that ricey APC blue/cool blue/superwhite shit. I've driven a few Lexus IS300's with and without them, and I can attest to the fact that they make a world of difference.

And Tomohawk, they actually draw less voltage and use less wattage than the stock incandescent lights.

More info, http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

So the HID light sounds like a sophisticated flourescent bulb for your car (referring to the "ballast"). Except for the extra parts you have for the ballast, etc., it might be a good idea for the Zed if you had a place to put the ballast, where it would be safe and stay dry.

I bet if you could wait for about a year, they'll have HIDs that are all one unit, 50% ofthe size and work better!

Guest datsun280zmike

just got them in.....wow what a difference the kit is complete and took less than an hour to do...id say this is the best HID for the money...

Guest datsun280zmike

the kit is a full kit with relays ballast etc...all you need to do is connect a power and ground and splice a few wires into the stock harness and youre pretty much set to go..TOO BAD SYLVANIA RAN OUT OF THEM ALREADY...now the cheapest ones i have found are in the high 300 range..

mike

So what was the deal, a special from Sylvania, or . . . ? I surfed to Sylvania's website and found this page http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x60246054.htm

I then surfed to Autozone.com (a suggested retail partenr at Sylvania's website) but they want 800 bucks for the kit!

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=SYL&MfrPartNumber=X6024

Anyway, not in their wildest derams will I fork over 800 bucks for the kit, so it looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short. If anybody notices the deal again, give me a shout please. I'm watching this thread so I'll get notification automatically.

Guest datsun280zmike

the HID kit was on clearance because i dont think theyre making them anymore...so i doubt theyll be sold for that price again...thats what the sylvania said when i called them again because i was going to buy another set and custom fit it into my other car...OH WELL