HybridZ

removing windsheild without breaking it?

David K

How do i remove a windsheild without breaking it? The one time i attempted a windsheild removal, i broke it, way too easy. I have my old 280zx with a brand new windsheild, that i have to put in my new ZX. Theres some small rust around the new zx's windsheild, thats why im going through all this. Tools? Techniques?

TIA

If it's the original grommet around the windshield, it will be unlikely that you'll get the glass out without breaking it unless you cut the outer lip of the gasket off (which then requires a new gasket (grommet) when you install the windshield. The old gasket's rubber gets less pliable with age to the point where the rubber is too rigid to allow removal of the windshield and still save the gasket.

ZX Windshields are glued in, there is NO grommet. Simply remove the metal trim, including the screwed in trim on the sides, and carefully remove as much adhesive as you can from outside. Then carefully, from the side, cut the adhesive from under the glass. Proper windshield removal tools help.

If you plan on replacing the chrome or black metal trim, you'd better plan on getting the new plastic holders. They are available from Nissan...Part # 72825-P7900 (top) and 72826-P7100 (bottom). They have double stick tape on the back side and the body MUST be clean for them to adhere properly. It can be done, but DO NOT PRY ON THE GLASS. Remove or cut all adhesive first. Then lift the glass off of the car. (Get an assistant to help).

Consult the FSM for proper installation and removal tips and procedures.

Good luck.

Warren

I had brand new glass and moulding clips installed on the parts car i have now. I was driving the car back then. The reason i replaced the window on which is now the parts car is because i broke it.

PS, customlock, i emailed you some time back about rekeying my zx locks, but we never spoke. Doors, hatch, and ignition. Right now, ANY key opens the doors, and starts the car :oops:

Guest Paul Felker

Man i never got a windshield out of a z car without breaking it, no matter how cautious i was and i break every one. My advice is either get a brick to remove it with, :twisted: or call a glass company :-D . First off if it leaks its there problem, so you dont risk breaking it trying it to stop leaking. second they tend to know what the heck they are doing, as far as tools, not a utility knife and a guitar string that yuou had too steal from your brother :idea:hope this helps, cause z wind shields are very fragile, at least they are too me.

I got a ZX window out of a JY car once. Cut into the molding/glue with a knife, then find a hood release cable nearby, (junk yard.. turn around, pull cable out of chev truck behind me..) feed it through, then grab it from inside and out with vise grips. Just worked it back and forth like a saw, all the way around the window. Helps if it;s a warm sunny day, all the glue/rubber is more plyable.

• 1 month later...
Guest gtmattz

dunno if this would be concidered a post hijack or not, but last night i prepared the windshield in my 75 280z for removal, as i am replacing the rotten ~30 year old rubber (I could actually grab ahold of the lip and yank pieces off it lol). Anyway, I was able to get the window free w/out breaking it, had to chop up the old gasket of course, but i have the window loose now, tonite I want to clean it up and put it back in with the new rubber I have on hand, anyone have any advice for me so that I dont break the windsheild? the glass is in very nice shape, no chips or dings. I have been told 'use dry line (kite string?) wound several times around the inside of the rubber and walk it in' but that leaves me a little confused.. do I put the rubber in the frame and then start walking the glass into the rubber like that? do i put the rubber on the glass and walk the glass/rubber into the car frame?? I sooo dont want to mess this up, i do have 2 other windsheilds that i could use, but one has a big rock chip in the middle and the other has scratches from someone running the wipers w/out blades or with worn blades or something, but there are some nice deep arcing scratches across the top of the windshield.. meh.