HybridZ

Broke a dowel pin. Fixable?

violacleff

While trying to remove the crank pulley to change the front seal, I broke the dowel pin on the cam. My question is, is it possible to carefully drill the broken part out and replace the pin? or is the cam trash now? By the way, I was manually trying to remove the pulley with one wrench on the cam and one on the pulley bolt. This was to keep the assembly from rotating so I could get the bolt off. Was that a stupid idea? I could see no other way of doing it outside of airtools. Thanks.

Dave

Oops. It might be cheaper to just get another used cam. Someone will have to machine a new dowel for it unless you can find one that fits. I would get a friend to help with tightening the crank bolt. Pull the starter and get a big screw driver on a ring gear tooth and tighten. If you don't get it tight enough and like to rev it they will loosen up.

Thanks for your help guys,

At this point, I'm afraid to touch this motor again, and don't feel like spending anymore money on it by paying a pro. That was a hi-po cam that I bought from MSA and wouldn't want to stick a used one in there. I'm just going to yank that motor out while its still good and begin my turbo swap. I suppose I'll get a new cam for it when I can afford it and sell the motor when I replace it, or just keep it as a spare in case I get too boost crazy in the future.

I didn't know it was after market. In that case I would use a center punch first then drill it out, going as large as I could without hitting the cam. Even if you aren't centered it will come out when you get through a side of the dowel and releives the pressure. If the bit lightly touches the side, a new dowel will still press in.

Dowels are going to be hardened, its either a suitable job for a shop with precision equipment (not by hand), or something to throw in the towel on. If you filed it flat and had a drill press and method to hold the cam in place without damaging it maybe you could get in there straight, and then use an EZ OUT, but I think for the home guy it would be something I wouldn't even try.

Good luck however you handle it!