HybridZ

any way to get top speed??

davidh

I was racing my buddy in his Integra. Wasnt really a race but i kept goin. My speedo jumps around alot on the interstate, it was jumping between 130 and 150. So i guess somewhere abouts the 140ish mark. I was in 4th and still pulling hard. i just got a bit scared on the concrete interstate. They do get light up there :twisted:

• 2 months later...
Guest Marshall
just out of curiosity(cant spell) has there been any 70-78 z car that has beaten the 90+96 Z's? meaning the z32 having like....480-500hp??

Kind of doubtful, due to the poor aerodynamics of the older Z's. It would take so much power to push it that fast, and as others have pointed out, the car becomes unstable at high speeds due to lift. When my Z was stock, it quite easily reached its speed limiter of 155 mph, and after upgrading he ECU and upping the boost, the needle easily ran off the scale probably around 165 mph. The car felt stable but I wasn't going to push it any more.

13 years ago, when JUN began making demonstration cars, they set a speed record at Bonneville with their highly modded Z32, around 260 mph. For the next 10 years, the same company tried to beat their decade+ old record using Supra's and Skylines, but failed each time. Even though those cars may have had more power, the aerodynamics of those cars are not as good.

http://www.junauto.co.jp/democar/index.html?en

All the way down at the bottom, their first cars.

I've posted my confirmed numbers several times... But bottom line is it takes a LOT of HP to get ANY car up in the 150MPH + range... We had the aid of a troopers stalker radar gun and able to hit in the 168mph range in a 3.70 geared, NISSAN COMP 5 speed L6 car with some significant mods to the body and the motor. Motor had made 246hp on an engine dyno. We used the aid of headlite covers, side skirts, large air dam and large california Whaletail.

THe car was pretty much a full interior 260 body car, no bumpers (Had the MSA bodykit) and a high compression motor.

The T56/ 383 stroker car with the same gear LSD rear ran much quicker to the 150+mph mark, and I backed out of it after about 60 seconds... THat car was ROCK solid and pulling in 6th gear at 3900 RPMs.

Mike

I would be interested to see what others think my top speed capability is either calculated or by personal experience.I've been 125 in the 1/4 several times and the car seems solid at that speed.Rev limiter is set at 6000 rpm with 3.54 rear and about 430HP.I feel like 160 is possible,but I also feel like if something went wrong at that speed,the car would fold up like a stomped on beer can and I dont have a cage,so I'll pass on the top speed run for now.I have been well over 120mph way too many times in my life to push my luck,that make me a wussy?

to answer David's question, and Marshalls comment: most positively YES!

At the Denver Nat'l Z Car Convention, there was a track event at the old Stapleton Airport. The back straight was 3/4 mile long and coming off that corner there was an orange 240 Z from Ontario Canada (Lynn Burkhardt I believe) that would pull the Z32TT like they were standing still as they hit their speed limiters. Lynn would scream by (You could hear his supercharger wailing away from the spectator's area) and leave those Z32's wondering what had hit them.

Come the corners, they could "swish" by him silently as he was running street tires that had to make the return journey to Ontario, but on that back straight, he would start waaaay back, and come on like a freight train and blow by them as you heard the telltale "buurrp buuurrrp" of the fuel cut on the Z32.

His comment was "I've got the big pulley on there, running about 5psi less than normal. I do have to drive 3500 miles back home, you know!"

He was at the Atlanta convention the year before, I believe, also. I saw the car again in 2000 at the Kingston Ontario ZCC, and it sounded even meaner---apparently he's cammed it even more! :twisted:

And to make the feat even more impressive, think on this: He was runnning STOCK bodywork. No G-Nose, No Headlight Covers. As I recall, only the BRE Wing and Splitter. At speed the car did have a "Nose Up" attitude, so it must've been frightfully light in the steering. Sometimes it's not the power that stops your advance on the speed, it's the testicular fortitude! :D

Guest 2slo4u

I've hit 142-145 mph with my 83turbo 2+2 motor all stock. Used the gps because of 85mph speedo. ALL suspension bushings were replaced with urethane except for the three diff mount bushings. Could not find them in urethane, so just got stock new rubber. Struts were changed to plain old kyb. Springs changed to slightly stiffer in front and way stiffer in rear. The nose did NOT rise at high speed and the car was WAY more stable than on stock suspension. Also had no spoiler. The car did not get squirrely at that speed and now that I'm starting over with an 81turbo two seater, I wish I had the 83 instead, ha, ha!

81turborustybutruns stillidles high after warmingup?