HybridZ

JSK and Wilwood NDL vs BNDL ?

It appears to me that there are two calipers that fit the JSK Wilwood setup: the Narrow Mount Dynalite, and the Billet Narrow Mount Dynalite. The regular version looks to be stiffer. The billet is .2 lbs lighter.

Anyone have any opinion as to which to choose and where to buy?

I was reading through some old posts and found Behrents which doesn't advertise the Billet ones and http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com which has both, but the regular is CHEAPER.

Thanks,

Jon

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

HI Jon I havent been to Hybridz in a while. I have been busy working on my Z and taking care of Z work.

You can also try http://www.Pitstopusa.com . I had the Billet NDL on my Z a while back. My caliper brackets are intended for 3.5 mounts. If you want to get fancy you can use a caliper of your choice but youll have to fabricate your own bracket. The initial rotor of choice for my kits are 1.25" size rotors . I have been exploring different combinations and have come up with many. I have hats available in .60 .90" and caliper brackets in .25 and .38" steel. Thanks Juan

Thanks Juan. That company has the BNDL, but I've only been able to find the one source for the 125-6500 caliper, which is http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com. This is the caliper you show in your pictures, and I think I've convinced myself that it is the caliper I should buy. Anyone else know of a source for these? Where did you get yours Juan?

Come ebay or high water, I'm buying your damn brake kit this week (FINALLY!!!) :D:D:D

Jon

So I just realized you have this caliper in your pics:

http://www.behrents.com/Merchant2/4.19/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BPW&Product_Code=WIL120-3xxx

Anyone have any feedback on UL vs NDL vs BNDL??? I still figure I'll be saving better than 5 lbs per side vs the Toy calipers I've got now. Not too worried about weight, I just want what will brake the best and most consistently.

Jon

Jon,

I am using the JSK hats & hardware, wilwood 32 vane curved rotors, wilwood NDL calipers, wilwood "Q" street pads, wilwood adjustable brake bias valve, ZX master cylinder and had some customer SS hoses made to connect to the system. I am using the bias valve because of a rear disc conversion. The entire setup looks and fits great, I'm using a 17 inch wheel but it looks like I could run a 16 with no clearance issues.

Juan is a great guy to work with and his kit is well thought out and a quality platform for your brake system. Pop me an email and I will send you a couple pics as I have had no luck posting pic's here. I can also give you the places I sourced my parts & had brake hoses made.

Rusty

Hi jon

I purchased the wilwood forged billet superlite, which is the new replacement for the superlite IIA. it is a larger and stiffer the the NDL and I think also uses larger pads. These calipers will provide better feedback than the NDL .I also painted them red. I got them for $138 each at AFCO racing.

normal_caliper%202.jpg

Hers is picture of the new (Ul curved vane, 12.19" for $42 each) vs old rotor stock sized cross drilled brembo's.

normal_rotor.jpg

Man do I love this kit :D

For pads I went with the porterfield R4 S, excellent reputation, used by many cobra, porsche turbo.....people as a great street pad that hold it's own on the track. Of high value is also that portefiield makes the rear pads for almost every application, which means you can use the same pads front and back (I could not do that with wilwood pads)

Well after talking to Wilwood and about 30 suppliers, I ended up with NDLs, which ARE stiffer than billet NDL's. $115 each. I did not see any narrow mount Forged Superlites, I was looking too.

Oh well, I'm sure they will still be fine. Wish I had seen your post though Afshin.

Brake line question:

I already have ss lines in front for the stock setup, and I used the S shaped hard line again on my Toy calipers. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just cut one end off the S shaped line and put a 1/8-27 NPT fitting on there and save some $$$ on new ss lines?

Thanks guys.

Jon

Yup, the NDL's will be more than fine, still the same clamping power and huge disc with great braking torque (great for testing your seat belts) and cooling capacity. While the superlites are technicaly a little stiffer, none of the techs could quantify the difference in feel between the two calipers (performance is otherwise the same). I think the "real" difference is marginal, if at all.

So far I think I've found the best prices at Behrents. Apparently AFCO has some good deals too, according to Afshin. Looks like Behrents' webpage is down right now.

http://www.behrents.com

I figured out the difference in the calipers too. The Superlite is physically larger and heavier, and uses a larger pad than the NDL.

I had to special order the NDL, NOBODY stocks them except these guys:

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/ and they were $30 higher than the competition. I called so many people that I can't remember who I actually ordered from, but if you want I'll let you know when I get them.

Jon

I haven't even gathered all my parts yet! Got stuff shipping from the east coast, special order, etc. It will probably be another couple weeks before I have everything in hand.

I figure a slight gain in the rotor weight, which is rotating mass and the most important weight on any car, so that is a bummer. Also Juan says you need 280 front hubs, which are also a little heavier than 240 hubs. But there is a big reduction in caliper weight, which is unsprung weight. The NDL's are supposed to weigh 3.2 lbs. I don't know offhand what the Toy calipers weigh, but I'm going to guess 10 lbs at least.

I'm not going so much for the lightest braking system I could find, more something that I can beat on that will not fail like the current brakes do EVERY time I go to a big track. If you want light, you could probably shave a pound or two going with something like John Coffey has, but I think it is at least $100 more IIRC.

You do not need a spacer with the JSK setup. It comes with an aluminum hat that bolts straight to the hub, and has the correct offset for the caliper and rotor. JSK does make a 5 lug hat for the 300ZX hub, so you wouldn't have to change any of that either.

Jon

Custom offset circle track steel wheels, 15 x 8 with Yokohama A005 slicks (like the ones I've got for sale in the classifieds section right now). Eventually I'll flare the car so I can run the tires on a properly sized 15 x 9 or 9.5. For right now, gotta deal with one issue at a time!

Gonna have to get rid of the old 6 spokes, not sure if I'll even buy another set of street wheels or not. Maybe just another set of 15 x 8 circle track wheels with some cheap street rubber. Who knows?

Jon