HybridZ

Nitrous with hypertectic pistons

Guest zfan

I have a 355 sbc with steel crank, forged rods and kb pistons at 10.3 to 1 compression. I have thought about running a small shot of nitrous oxide(100 shot).

Is it ok to do with non forged pistons? I have heard of people using stock cast pistons with a small shot. I have maybe 1500 miles on this balanced and blue printed motor so I do not want to destroy it.

I'm running Edelbrock rpm heads, Weiand stealth dual plain intake, 750 double pumper, MSD ignition and full lengthe hooker super comp headers. Cam is a hyd. roller Comp cams 224/230-505/510 with 110 lobe sep.

I'm also wondering if with this build the juice would be too much as the motor is strong i guess I'm just looking for more power!

Mike

Yeah, I thought one of the biggest worries of nitros is the potential lean condition caused if something goes wrong with the fuel system.

A buddy of mine kept telling me to put nitros on my stock 240 motor. Said he'd been running it for over a year on his Mustang and the only problems he had was keeping tires on it. Then one day he told me the fuel solenoid on is nitros system burned up so only nitros (and no extra gas) went into his engine. This burned a hole in a piston.

My question is if something like this happens, then will forged pistons really make much of a difference?

If I were you I would wait till you get 3-4 thousand miles on that engine. You have to let everything get seated properly before you put all that extra stress on that new engine. Your rings probably haven't even seated completely in their bores yet!

:D Just give it some time before you blow your new motor! :D

That's just my $.02

Guest Anonymous

No, forged pistons are not going to make a difference in this case, dumping straight NOS into your engine is going to trash it even if you have titanium pistons in there. If I were you, I'd purchase a good aftermarket O2 sensor system and hook it to an air/fuel guage inside. This will allow you to monitor your fuel mixture at all times, so if it drops you can shut the motor down and save it. Also, most upper end NOS systems have fail safe devices that will shut the nitrous spray off if the engine starts running lean or knocking, might be something to look into on the perticular system you are planning on getting. I'v ran NOS on many stock engines, up to 85hp shots, without any problems. Once I got PO'ed when an Audi TT coupe beat me, so I bumped my shot up to 145hp from an 85hp shot and blew the holy crap out of my stock 86 Fiero engine, but thats not supriseing, stupid stock 60 deg. V6's are not strong at all...But I rebuilt it to handle the power and never had a bit more trouble with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

My dad had those pistons in a 383 and he squeezed 100 shot a few times with no probs. I think we learned the big thing with those kind of pistons is to not go overboard (100-125hp shot) and to set the ring gaps a wider. We actually talked to a KB rep at Super Chevy and he gave us the info.

Now he has a 400 w/forged pistons and afr heads...that thing is a monster rockon.gif