HybridZ

Opinions on Carburated Intake Manifolds

Guest Steve-Z

Guest Steve-Z

I'm trying to decide on a carburated intake manifold for my Ford 5.0, soon to be installed in a 1972 240Z. I was trying to decide between an Edelbrock Performer RPM and a Weiand Stealth. Do any of the members have opinions on which of these or any other manifold to use ???? I know that the Edelbrock Performer RPM is sold by Ford Performance.

I will appreciate all comments.

Steve

Guest Steve-Z

Dp351zcar

I would like to drive around a road course like Thunderhill or Button willow. And I would like to eventually build up a SBF engine with 302 or 331 CI with AFR 185 heads and a Comp Cams 274 or equiv. camshaft. I am basically building a road race care that can be driven to the track. I would like the engine to operate in the 2500-6000RPM range, very reliably.

I think the Edelbrock Performer RPM or the Weiand Stealth manifold will be fine for my application, but I don't know which one would be better.

I hope that's enough information.

Steve

Steve-Z,

I used a Performer RPM on a 302 I put into 1970 2 wheel drive pickup back in the early 90s. I had built the motor for a Maverick I was going to race but the car was rear-ended and totalled before I could drop the motor in.

Anyway the engine was bored 30 over, had a relatively mild cam, large valves (1.9" intake, 1.6" exhaust) in 289 guide-plate heads, roller rockers, ~9:1 CR, the edelbrock intake and a Carter 650 AFB carb.

In that particular truck it was almost to much power. The front end was very loose and you had to herd the thing down the road. Anyway the engine really came alive between 2000-2500 RPM and pulled hard to redline.

Like the prior poster said, you won't go wrong with either manifold but I had a very good experience with the Performer RPM. The quality was very good, never had any leaks or cracks.

I wouldn't reccommend the Carter AFB or Edelbrock carbs though. I was always having to clean the metering rods as they would get stuck and either starve or flood the engine. I would definitely go with a Holley, or better yet step up to fuel injection.

Wheelman

I use an edelbrock performer rpm and a e303 ford hyd roller cam (or is it the b303?), maybe 9:1 comp, short headers. Powerband really comes on at 4k and pulls to 6.2kish. That's with a 625 cfm vac sec carb and smaller-than-185s gt-40 alum heads and gt valvetrain. It pulls good @ 2500 to get me around a slow turn (turn 11 at Sears in third gear) without spinning the tires, and then climbs very quickly from there to my shift point which is 6k.

Anyway, I could drive it all day on the street (if it weren't so uncomfortable) and it's plenty fast on the track.

Better get some brakes.

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Stealth on mine. It was recommended by CNC Power Heads out of California. He stated that on a built engine it flowed better than the Performer RPM. This was based on their heads, which have oversized valves, ported and polished. I have no reference to the Performer-I took the head builders advice.