HybridZ

ls1/ls6 questions

ok i have been putting my ideas together for my project car i will hopefully soon start and i want to try and decide some stuff. one of the ideas i am looking at is a ls1 or something like it but i cant find to much info on the engine. what are the diffrences from the bare block compared to a normal chevy 350 block? to give me a little idea of how diffrent it is would parts for a diffrent 350 work on the block? for arguments sake if i wanted to buy just the plain block and set it up as a carburated system would it work? thanks for the info guys. and yes i admit that i dont know much about this engine it might be really stupid to do that set up on it.

Guest Anonymous

The LS1 really should be an EFI setup, but it sure as hell wouldnt be the first conversion to carb from EFI. I believe the LS1 is all aluminum as compared to iron block 350's of old'n days. To my knowledge, most older chevy 350 parts do not interchange. Also, the LS6 is a 454.

Laaaaaaaates

LS-1 is an all aluminum 350. It is significantly lighter than the iron block LT-1 and basically has nothing in common with it, including overall dimensions. It is also a bit lighter than the original iron block Datsun L28 which is why I chose it for my conversion.

The LS-6 is the modified version of the LS-1 used in the Z06 Corvette. It has different heads, etc. and obviously makes more HP. It and the LS-1 share the same block and many internals.

I would not by a plain block LS-1 and then try to build the engine. Parts are much more expensive than an LT-1 or other SBC and harder to come by. If you want to build an engine from scratch stick with an iron block SBC. If you want the aluminum block LS-1/6 then you need to find a donor car that you can strip the engine, wiring harness, ECM, etc. out of and try to walk away with a few $$ still in your wallet.

LS6 is not a 454. LS6 is an LS1 with head/cam/intake mods.

Cameraobsess, I'm probably gonna come off as a jerk for saying this, but if you have not been able to find any info on the LS1 - especially answers to these questions you have just posted, then you have not even tried to look.

Try searching here for LS1 and also check out http://ls1.com and http://ls1tech.com for a start.

The LS1 is completely different from the 350. It's an all new engine with absolutely no interchange to the 97 and older engines. There is no carb manifold nor will there ever be one (why would you want a carb?)

The OLD LS-6 (~1971?) WAS basically a 454 c.i. L88. The NEW LS6 is the mighty 405hp Z06 version of the '97+ LS1 new small block. As far as I can tell, the new all-aluminum LS-series motors aren't any lighter-weight than the old iron-block Al-heads LT1. A 98 LS1 Z28 weighs almost exactly the same as a '97 LT1 Z28, 3400 lb. The LS1 is a deep-skirted, beefier design. Make mo' powah, too. I've got the lo powah LT1 in my '95 Z28 convertible. Sure does make the 240Z feel fast.

The all aluminum big block from the factory in the 69 was the the ZL1 (427 blg block):

Here's a bit of history:

Overshadowing these dealer modified Camaros was the factory Camaro ZL1. Specially designed to compete in the NHRA Super Stock drag classes, Chevrolet made it an option under the COPO system (code 9560). The cars began as SS396/375bhp Camaros with the F41 suspension. The SS trim and engine were deleted, and the 427 engine, cowl-induction hood, front disc brakes, a choice of heavy duty 4 speed transmissions or Turbo Hydra-matic, and a 4:10 posi axle were added. But instead of the regular iron-block and head L72 found in the dealer installed Camaros, the ZL1 sported aluminum heads and the first aluminum block ever made by Chevrolet. It shared the L88 aluminum head/iron block's engine rating of 430bhp but made closer to 500bhp -- making it probably the most powerful engine Chevrolet ever offered to the public. And the engine weighed just 500 pounds, the same as Chevy's 327 small block. The car was blessed with a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty and was fully street legal. With factory exhausts and tires, it turned low 13s; with headers and slicks, it could turn 11.6s @ 122mph. This was the fastest car ever produced by Chevrolet. Performance had its price -- $4,160 for the ZL1 engine alone pushing the price of the Camaro ZL1 to an unbelieveable $7,200 (about double the price for a SS396 Camaro). Chevy needed to build 50 to qualify the car for racing, and in the end built 69 Camaros and 2 Corvettes with the ZL-1 engine. Their high price made them difficult to sell and at least 12 engines were removed and about 30 cars were returned back to Chevrolet. It took until the early 1970s to sell them all. One can only wonder what they are worth today.

I stole that from:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/chevrolet-camaro/chevrolet-camaro-history-1.shtml

It made way more than the 430 hp it was rated at.

Guest Anonymous

The LS-1 is one of the most advanced v-8's in the world today. the only one that is better is the new v-8 that BMW developed for the new m-5. as for the ZL-1, chevy PP is REINTRODUCING the baddest rat motor in american history. although it makes less hp than the first version, the block is based on original tooling, and is NOT carbed, it has a fully tuned EFI system. check out this month's hot rod to read about it! (no, im not advertising)

New firing order (this means no cam/crank interchange)

All aluminum, 6 bolt mains (yay)

New bore/stroke dimensions

New intake design

About 60 pounds lighter than the LT1

Different oiling I believe (non priority still)

Basically as said, its not your Dad's Chevy, this is Gen III. 2000 or 2001 cars get the LS6 intake manifold (forget which year, doh). The LS6 gets different heads. The 2001 and up models have a different top ring design, due to drivers reporting oil consumption due to driving at high RPM under low throttle conditions (lazy shifters). I also remember in 2001 the LS6 got a gutted MAF, no more screen or plenum, due to the Vettes getting a straight shot of air anyway.

For the most part the LS1 will do you damn well, but if you can afford it the LS6 is top dog. LS6 heads have gone up to 340cfm, and I've heard of about 310 for LS1 heads, with a 222/230 wussy cam the LS1 cars are putting out 420 RWHP (bastards).

www.camaroz28.com for more info, the message board is over 30k members.