HybridZ

Opinions please

Guest kc6wfs

Hi Dale,

Well that could be bad news.

Looks like battery acid spillage.

I my self would pass on that unless you don't mind doing some welding.

How did the battery tray and fender look.???

Dave

:cheers:

The battery tray looks ok, so does the other rail as far as I can tell. I have not seen the car in person, just pictures so I am a little concerned. I can post the other pictures he sent me tonight before I hit the hay.

The car has been stored under a carport so it wasn't left out in the rain.

I can weld ok.

Thanks for your help so far,

For every inch of rust that CAN see, there's 3 inches that you can't. Unless you get a smoking deal and have the time and equipment to repair it, then I would pass too.......but it really depends on the availabilty of cars in your area....

Tim

Don't buy a rusty Z. The time, money and aggrevation it will cost you is more than it would have cost you for a rust free car. Being on the east coast there were no rust free cars that I saw and I looked for over a year before I bought mine. I must have looked at 20 -30 cars and I went all over to find one. I flew to Florida, drove to Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, West VA. I finally found one in New Jersey that had just come from California. A V8 in a Z puts alot of stress on the unibody. A rusty car will not handle it.

Take your time and find a nice rust free car. You will be happier in the long run and you will have a car that will go up in value too. Even if you have to travel to get one it will be worth it. If you find one that is too far away you can probably find a list memeber in that area to go and look at it for you. I was interested in a car in California once and had a guy I know from one of the lists go and see it for me. Glad I did because it had lots of problems that didn't show up in the pictures and I would have had to spend lots of $$ to fix them.

Best advice I can offer is BE PATIENT! Wait for the right car.

I'm in Cumming, Ga. around Hwy 9 and Campground road area. I'm going to go Sat and take a look at the car and make a decision. I want to get started on this project but if I have to pay extra to get a good car brought in for AZ or TX I will do it.

Thanks all!

Dale

I'm in Cumming' date=' Ga. around Hwy 9 and Campground road area. I'm going to go Sat and take a look at the car and make a decision. I want to get started on this project but if I have to pay extra to get a good car brought in for AZ or TX I will do it.

Thanks all!

Dale[/quote']

Dale,

I was chomping at the bit to get started but I took the advice of the older, wiser members of the Z community and waited for the right car. I started looking for a Z in July of 2002 and finally bought mine in July of 2003. Then I finally decided on the LS1 in January and bought the motor in March. I wanted to sell the current L28 drivetrain while it was still in the car and I will get started on the swap next month.

Best of luck finding a good clean rust free car.

Dale I bought my blue 280 (pictured below) from a guy in Cumming. I think his last name was Conner. Anyway keep looking and you will find one. By the way my Z had no rust in the floor at all. The floor pans looked brand new when I pulled back the carpet so you can find good cars on the east coast if you try hard enough.

I blew the pics up, I would bet you a dinner that car is in real bad shape.

Blow up the pic of the underside and notice there is green paint everywhere.

It also looks like a heavy undercoating. Considering it has been repainted and has pretty good rust showing I bet its bad news.

If you could see it with little effort I would check it out, I would not travel 5 hrs to see it.

you can find a clean car for under $2000. If you buy a rusty one for $500 you are going to spend 200 hours fixing it and they are never desireable if you try to resell it.

Trust me I had a Z given to me, did not look bad at all. I found it had already been patched and a butt ton of run was found behind the tail lights and behind the fenders...

I think your right. I went ahead and got the Texas brown 1978 280Z. It's a little rough but it's running. Here's a link. It will be recieving a LS1/T56 that is in my basement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6187&item=2473344151&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT

I should have my hands on it in about 2 weeks.

Dale

You know it's funny how that little Z looks awesome in the video clips and not so awesome in the pics. Z's always look better in motion I think.

Congrats on winning the Z, I will be going today to look at a red 83 ZX that I may be able to get for 500 dollars cash in Acworth, GA. Man I love Z cars :D