HybridZ

Did a quick totaling of $$$ spent so far..

datsunlover

Well, I just did a quick list of evrything (that I could think of till this point) that I have spent cash on for the Z. Not including tool's (110V welder, torque wrench, new jack/stands, ect) I've only got about $1600 into it!! I was starting to get woried because it seams I've been dumping $$$ into this thing for quite some time now, and it still needs a body/paint job. BUT: At this point, it is once again a RUNING car! (280zx dizzy and 72' SU carbs on a 75 that's suposed to be FI.. yup, she's a mut!) I have to install the rear flex lines, and hook the coolant line up to the intake, but the parts are there waiting for me to have the time to do it. (going to trade school, only home on weekends. :() So I'll start the body work next weekend and am shooting for the end of May to get it painted. I figure doing all the work myself, with the help of a few friends (one owns a spray gun and compresor :)) I think I can be driving this summer for $2500 or so. BTW: when I say body work, I mean puting on the fiberglass/bondo and sand/prime/paint. All the metal is welded back into the car, so I just have to blend in the seams/roll pan/ect. I know that Z's (or ANY car for that matter...) can be huge money pits, but I don;t feel so bad now.. heck.. you cant buy anything that looks like a Z and handles/feels like a Z nowadays for $2500! :)

Well, I would have hAD to throw another $1000 at it if I wanted the FI to work.. (maybe more$!) but I decided to go with the cheeper/easy to tune and set up su carbs. I was amazed man.. just threw them on, tosed in the dizzy and it's all good! BTW.. why doesnt yours run right now?

Guest bastaad525

datsunlover - heh... consider yourself lucky :)

Even before I put in a turbo motor, just had the N/A motor with high compression in the '72 240, just to get it all up and running took me well over $5000.... and it's only gotten much higher since then :)

Guest ON3GO

i have over 20 grand in it and the bitch still isnt running.....

ur lucky man.. i wish i could drive a Z lately....

also... it sounds like a fun toy!

mike

Guest ON3GO

to be honest i dont no whats wrong with me..

i sold a badass perfect Z32 300zx for a broken down S30 280Z.

i now have a 280Z thats no where near done and will never be...

also the 280Z isnt even worken and i started on another Z project.. a carbed twin turbo L28 motor for a 240z...

man i need help

mike

I spent (over-spent, actually) $6000 on an already Hybridized 240Z, that I had never seen. Got scared on an Ebay auction, and made an offline deal to buy it at the reserve price..... :roll: Oh well, wanted back into the Z world bad, re-learned a buying lesson, lol. I planned on driving it 2000 miles back from the San Diego area, still unseen.... Got about 30 miles from the point of purchase, seemed to be running a little hot, and noticed I couldnt hear the E-fan running, which was manually wired and switched. Paid $50 at a "Latino" garage to replace a toggle switch.... but as I had no tools handy, and relieved at the stupid repair, so filed it away as a good deal. had a good conversation with the manager, who turned out to be a great guy, he was kinda impressed with the engine bay of the Z. Babied the Z, and sweated bullets for the first 300 miles or so, because my stressed and over-active imagination was convinced that the temp gauge was creeping upward. After 300 miles and some much needed sleep, I turned off the heater, and ran another 30 or so miles at 60mph... then 70.... finally decided to ignore the temp gauge my imagination was animating, and averaged 90mph and close to 30mpg the rest of the way.

Fortunately for me.... the computer waited till after I was home for a few weeks to go. $300.... Then found the cause, 18 gauge speaker wire, run through a hole drilled in the chassis, was powering and grounding the fuel pump, sometimes simultaneously. Took out the computer when it shorted. Found some other relatively minor problems in the wiring, traced it and found an updated fuse box with new style fuses (sweet!) but no labels or diagram. (not sweet)

I parked it and havent driven it since. Last week, finally got it to my new home, discovered that there was no brake fluid, except for the puddle on the ground, traced it to the general area of the MC.

Now waiting to build a new garage, and put a new roof on the house. Looking for an LS1, T56, and a large portion of Ross Corrigan's inventory. Need rotisserie.... (want, actually.... one of those while I am at it things :roll: )

So that all adds up to about $15,000, and I still have to spend on tools including metal working stuff, including welding, and oh yeah..... some classes I found at the local CC for metal working and auto restoration. Oh, forgot the 1994 Toyota 4Runner to replace the Z as my daily driver, $6000.... I cant explain it, but somehow the girlfriend has been very accommodating, and even faintly enthusiastic. I try to repay her by watching the occasional Lifetime Movie Network movie, and with help in odd projects..... like raking up almost 500 pounds of leaves and acorns ealier today. (weighed a bag and averaged it out for 13 bags) We really need more squirrels around here.....

The moral of the story is..... A WRX STI costs $30,000+, and I am having more fun this way. Or so I tell myself every time I see the Z sitting there.

Anyone want a really nice TPI 350 and 700R tranny? :P

Well, I would have hAD to throw another $1000 at it if I wanted the FI to work.. (maybe more$!) but I decided to go with the cheeper/easy to tune and set up su carbs. I was amazed man.. just threw them on, tosed in the dizzy and it's all good! BTW.. why doesnt yours run right now?

Ive had a lot of small problems to sort out, and now I have to unclog my injectors. Hopefully it will get running soon if thats it :)