HybridZ

what rear end does every1 have??

Guest m35514h

Guest Anonymous

I drew the line on money expenditures for the money pit on rear end modifications since the 280 Z has an adequete R 200 (but, gee I would sure like a lsd out of a 300 ZXT with cv joints and those stub axle adapters..some Outlaw rear discs...lot of powder coating $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm going to stay with the R180 for as long as I can after switching to a low-po 350. I tend to drive like a granny anyway, so it might last for years. On the other hand, it might blow itself to bits in short order, then it'll be UPGRADE TIME! Then I'll go for an R200, probably with the standard low ratio for high speed cruising purposes.

I'm installing a 3.70 LSD out of a 87 300XZ Turbo tomorrow night. Staying with u joint half shafts, replacing ujoints as well with Brute Force u joints, non zirc type.

Mike

That is so cool, Vette. As for me, I didn't have the patience of fabrications skills to do a vette IRS. I am doing a serious HP upgrade, so I felt a rearend upgrade was in order. I wanted to keep it simple though, so I'm using an R200 with 83 turbo CV halfshafts with adaptors from Ross. They are works of art and it almost seems to be a shame to use these beauties on a car. As for the LSD, I took the plunge and went for the Quaife. I know this setup seems like big bucks, but compared with the time and effort that would go into installing/fabricating what is needed for an R230, the cost didn't seem that different. As for the late 80's 3.7 R200 w/lsd, it seems to be non-existent.

Guest Carlissimo

Mine 73 240-Z has the original R-180 and original U-joints. I have had a 300+ HP 327 installed for 20 years. I shift like an old lady because I am afraid of scattering my 1977 chevy 5-speed tranny all over the road (It has happened a few times already).

Although I am not recommending an R-180 for any V-8 conversion, it does prove that if you avoid shock loads to the drive system, an R-180 will last a long time.

If you plan to speed shift and/or bang gears, (or if you plan to frequent the local drag strip) you will need stronger parts.

I assume you mean 87 Chevy 5 speed? If not what kind of tranny is it? I am NOT in favor of the 'vette diff in high powered cars. The half shaft is a locating link, the virtual "3rd link" in the 3 link suspension or 4th in the C4 setup. If you break a half shaft you can lose control of the car. In the Datsun setup, if you break a half shaft, the wheels stay pointed forward. I broke a stub axle clip on my '84 'vettes Dana 36 and nothing was visually wrong, but driving down the road and the car would attempt to make a sudden lane change with no input :eek: Spooky. In theory, the 'veet parts ARE stronger than the Datsun parts, so you should be less likely to break parts. There have been several Z's running in the 9's with r200 and u-joint halfshafts, yet Stony can't even get in the 10's because of broken half shafts. Interesting. The 'vette and jag rears are also why NHRA and IHRA outlawed IRS in cars running faster than 11.00. Unless you are running sub 11 second times, I think the CV/Quaiffe setup in an r200 is the best way to go. Now as far as the "cool" factor, the 'vette setup is over the top!

The LSD 3.70's are hard to find but if you frequent the bone yards/pick n pulls they can be had. I just pulled one off a 1987 300zxt in the pick n pull in Dallas last week, 90 bucks with the cv's.

I just installed it tuesday night and my speedo's a little off because I was running 3.54's before. My friend is going to keep an eye out for another one, he works at the yard. So maybe I will have one to sell soon.

Mike

Guest m35514h

hey zfan where in Dallas are you?? I am building the engine right now, and acquiring parts while i try to get my junky honda out, and I may need help on all minute details of the install.