HybridZ

Aeromotive AFPR

Guest ZmeFly

Guest ZmeFly

I called and got some information on the Aeromotive Universal AFPR. The sales rep said that though I could use NPT fittings that it is not recommended.

Is this true and why?

Thanks for any input.

Guest bastaad525

why not just get the MSD? it's way cheaper. Unless you're looking at boosting your fuel pressure really high... think the MSD maxes at 50-55psi? But it's only $50..... and you dont need to worry about npt fittings or any of that.

Guest ZmeFly

The aeromotive will cover all possiblities. Even that special day when I can boost 23#'s :shock::twisted: Going with stock pressure at 37# and with a 1:1 as boost increases that would be 52#'s at 15#'s of boost.

If the MSD cuts out at 50 than its falling short. Im going to buy Corkey Bells book on boost so that I can learn more. Maybe 50#'s of pressure is enough?

Ill let the experts decide on this one.

Guest bastaad525

Sorry I think I didn't phrase myself right. Heck even the stock FPR is good for more than 50psi of overall pressure. I was referring to pressure at idle. The MSD is good for up to 50-something psi set at idle, a 15-20psi increase over the stock FPR. Of course, on boost, it will raise the pressure much higher. If you need more, I just read yesterday on here how someone took off the lock nut on the adjuster and was able to increase the static idle pressure up to 55psi... he didn't say if there was more to go or if that was the max, probably was the max.

I was amazed... I'd think he'd be running like crap at that much pressure. Heck when I installed my MSD fuel pump and was using the stock return line, fuel pressure jumped up to 60psi at all times, and the car ran horribly. I'd think 50 or 55 would be enough for most applications on a Z. If you needed more than that you should probably be running bigger injectors instead.

Guest ZmeFly

Ah see I understand now. In that case that MSD unit might be the ticket for me then as well. I agree, if you do need that much pressure at idel (50 or more) you do need bigger injectors.

Now that I know that, I think Im going with that regulator route instead and save a 100 dollars :-D

Thanks for the heads up Bastaad.

Guest bastaad525

cool thank you for THAT heads up in return :) I always forget to check Summit though everyone always says how good their prices are.

I've been sitting on the money for weeks now... dont know why I haven't ordered it yet.... still debating where I'm gonna install the thing.

What are you gonna do for a fuel pressure gauge? I followed in Jersey's footsteps and built a Home Depot Special. It actually doesn't look too bad... at least I dont think so, and only cost like $12.

Guest ZmeFly

haha, I have one of those as well and it doesnt look bad at all, but by Monday Ill be sending out my MO for pallnets fuel rail with pressure gauge and 60mm TB kit :-D

Cant wait to install them both. I was looking for a good regulator and well most always say Aeromotive. Thats why I was going with them, but like you said and for the price and fuctionality, cant go wrong with the MSD.

No prob with the heads up either. If you can get it I would suggest one of pallnets rails, they looks sooooooooo nice and are really well made.

Like I said, cant wait. Ill post pics once its all in.

Guest bastaad525

heheh dont think I don't want one of those fuel rails... very nice pieces. Man trust me there's a LOT of things I'd have on my car if I had the money. Just for kicks I sat and made a list one day and it ended up with like 50 things on there that I wanted to do. Some day when I want a REAL laugh I'll try to estimate the total cost of doing all 50 things... :shock:

If stuff would just stop breaking on the car....

This hybrid has singlehandedly killed my faith in the reliability of the Z car, which has gone from the most dependable car I've ever owned to the most undependable.....

the MSD FPR can go way higher than the stated max I think they said 45psi, you have to remove the locknut, that keeps you from threading it in further, I had mine up to 75 psi at idle, kinda by accident but the point is that it can be set higher than they advertize, you just gotta remove the locknut from the adjuster so you can thread it in further