HybridZ

240Z Bumper Swaps to 280Z Bodies Article

Sleek Z

Z Car Enthusiasts

I am looking to contact other Z car owners that have successfully completed early 240Z or custom bumper mods to their 74.5 - 78 Z car bodies. This topic has come up often over the years on the Net and I am frequently contacted by owners asking to buy necessary parts to pull off the conversion, but because there is so little documentation on the Net (TMK) I have been unable to give them good advise. Hence, I have decided that it would be a good swap for me to document with both photos and write ups, to publish on my website, ZPARTS.COM

Anybody here care to share more info on their bumper swap or lead me to others that have come up with documented solutions? If so, please contact Eric at or send first photos to photos@zparts.com

I now know of and have decent photos and some written material on 3 bumper conversions, 2 with 260Z stock bumpers and collapsed mounts and one with 240Z style bumpers using a combo of altered stock and custom made mounting brackets. To see a beautiful example of the last one mentioned plus others in the near future, you can find my first announcement and previews of such an article on my "Coming Attractions" page at http://www.zparts.com/indexes/inprogress.html

Thanks much,

Sleek Z

Weird.. thats what I was doing all day today! I used the stock (I think?) bumper mounts/flat bar w/holes + slots in it from a 71 240 on my 75 280. Only got one bolt in it though (the furthest rear bolt that used to hold the bumper shock to the car) Unfortunatly, the only way I could figure how to do it is by putting a bolt through from the outside of the bumper.. :? and off-seting/bending the brackets a bit. I figure I'll use a nice stainless bolt in the end.. it's just a 'mock up' for now. I'll try to get some pics and a better description for next weekend, as I head back to school tomorrow for the week.

I did a front bumper adaptation on a 280Z by gutting the bumper shocks (deflate pressure and remove piston), leaving just the shock housing bolted to the frame. I took the stock 240Z bumper with brackets attached and fit the bracket ends (flat steel, about 1/4"x1 1/2") by sliding them into the shock tubes. I took a "J hook" of 3/8" threaded rod, inserted through the hole in the bracket, fed it out the back of the shock housing (through the 3/8"ish hole there), and pulled it tight. I adjusted the bumper straight and level using the shock housing adjustments, tightened them, and then welded where the steel 240Z bracket goes into the 280Z shock housing. Looks good and no problems. DAW