HybridZ

BBC '83 280ZX updates, LINKS FIXED

Guest 502ZX

Guest 502ZX

Been offline for a while, thought I might post a progress report on my BBC 280ZX project as the sun is shining and the excitement level is getting high! The headers are IN, what an accomplishment that was! There are many areas with minimal clearance but the go in without unbolting the engine or trans. The stock steering is still there as well. This was definitely the toughest part of the conversion thus far.

With the drivetrain fully installed all that remains is the interior, fuel system, electrical and paint. I fully expect to be street-cruising this thing before the end of Summer, and of course take a few trips down the quarter mile as well!

I will post some pics in the next few days of the header installation and engine progress. For those who have not seen how this all started my website has some old early progress pics.

i HavE noW thE FevER!!!!

Guest 502ZX

Here are some install pics. I was told by several friends that it would not be possible to make thru-chassis headers on a BB-Z with 2 1/4 primaries, they were almost right! Pic quality is alittle sketchy (time for a new digi-cam). Each side is three pieces (2-2 tube sections and 1-collector), and can be installed without lifting the engine (It is however, somewhat like playing Tetris!)

EDIT: Picture links fixed, will set up hotlink tonight, new pics soon!

install1.jpg

install2.jpg

header1.jpg

header2.jpg

header3.jpg

header4.jpg

Guest 502ZX

Actually went in quite easy. Biggest problem is the close proximity of the Milodon oil pan to the crossmember, which requires a high mounting of the front of the engine (the front of the valve covers are close to touching the hood). No firewall pounding required. I fabbed up aluminum front motor plates and used a Competition Engineering mid plate. The Turbo 400 trans fit with minor pounding on the top of the tunnel only. The brake lines require some re-routing but all in all it was easier than stuffing the BBC in a '67 Chevy II (which I will never do again!)

engine%20install2.jpg

• 3 months later...