HybridZ

twin t25's on l28

onephatz

got a '75 with an '82 turbo motor in it. running 12psi on stock everything except extra fuel and intercooler.

question is, eventually I am wanting to upgrade to twin turbos. not that twins are any better than one single turbo but being the poor college student I am I have to pick my battles. I'm lookin to run twin t-25's off a 2g mist. eclipse mainly because i can pickup one for 50-100 bucks. of course after that kind of upgrade I'm gonna have to have better engine management. ie: the batte I'll lose. I'll proubly end up going with a sds or an elctromotive system which will be quite expensive. flow for those are around 285 cfm per turbo. the reason I chose these is because of my dsm friends telling me that they spool really quickly on a 2.0L 2g. so I figure that two on a 2.8 will spool abit higher but in the end produce more flow. I'm also looking at t-25 for upgrade reasons also. I've been looking into the t28 upgrade path for the eclipse. seems with an upgraded compressor wheel it can support 340hp per turbo! :shock: and use the stock compressor housing and turbine houseing.

has anyone had any experience with running twin turbos on a L28? if so what kind of turbos and what kind of results are you getting, like hp, spool up rpm, boost drop off? stuff like that.

this car is not going to be a daily driver. instead it is going to be pull it out of the garage and whip some A$$ have some fun and go home with a big grin on your face type of car. so...........

thanks

jesse

Let's see, you need a custom manifold, custom downpipes, custom inlets, custom oil/water lines, and lot's of other unforseen engineering that will be required to make those used T25 turbos work. If you do all the fabrication yourself, I think you'll spend atleast 1-2K in parts and raw materials just getting it to run.

I think a twin turbo L28 is cool, and I envy those setups, but I wouldn't try to build one on a budget.

Sean's right. You could use stock parts and a hybrid turbo, getting the same performance for at least $1k less. Don't do it if you are on a budget. Check out James Thagard's twin turbo Z - he is using twin Mitsu turbos as well, and I know he's not on a budget - you can't be and run in the low low low 11's like he is.

Hey I say why not? If he has the tools and time to do it (which he does)and just needs the material..... LIke us he is using what is "available" yet trying to keep the door open to potential. I think you should check out these other TT L6 setups though. We single turbo guys won't be able to help you much. good luck,

Boost on,

all the manifolds will be fabricated by me. flanges, pipes, runner,dp ect, me. the cost of the materials is not what worries me. I can do the manifold and flanges for less than $200. what worries me is trying to squeeze it all in the engine bay. the time/patience required will be tremendous, but I feel it's a worthwhile goal. I mean how many people do you know that have a tt L28? it's not just braging rights but it's just down right cool. if you want to see what I have done before check this link out.

http://www.missouri.edu/~javg25/turboprobe.html

this is this guy's daily driver! it's not the best I've ever done but it works pretty good.

not only that but i have this wierd idea that if I were to drop 500 plus on a turbo I wouldn't want to use it. I'd proubly want to put it under glass and stare at it all day and not get it all dirty with exhaust gas :D .

I guess it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks is real or practical. It's gonna happen weather anyone helps me or not. I was hoping that someone with experience in these matters could have droped some info.

so........

all the manifolds will be fabricated by me. flanges' date=' pipes, runner,dp ect, me. the cost of the materials is not what worries me. I can do the manifold and flanges for less than $200. what worries me is trying to squeeze it all in the engine bay. the time/patience required will be tremendous, but I feel it's a worthwhile goal. I mean how many people do you know that have a tt L28? it's not just braging rights but it's just down right cool. if you want to see what I have done before check this link out.

http://www.missouri.edu/~javg25/turboprobe.html

this is this guy's daily driver! it's not the best I've ever done but it works pretty good.

not only that but i have this wierd idea that if I were to drop 500 plus on a turbo I wouldn't want to use it. I'd proubly want to put it under glass and stare at it all day and not get it all dirty with exhaust gas :D .

I guess it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks is real or practical. It's gonna happen weather anyone helps me or not. I was hoping that someone with experience in these matters could have droped some info.

so........[/quote']

That's some crazy fabrication work - more power to you. But still, I guarantee more will be spent on materials than what you'd save on two cheap turbos. I'm not saying don't do it - just go into it with your eyes open, and know it's going to cost some $$ for something different.

And I don't think there is anyone more qualified to help than 240Z Turbo.

Hey I say why not? If he has the tools and time to do it (which he does)and just needs the material..... LIke us he is using what is "available" yet trying to keep the door open to potential. I think you should check out these other TT L6 setups though. We single turbo guys won't be able to help you much. good luck' date='

Boost on,[/quote']

Good call Johnny boy!

And onephatz has a huge garage to work with and alot of tools and some cheap skanky friends to help him :lol:

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I don't know if you got the memo but T25's are trash, even upgraded to T28's they are not the strongest. The whole twin turbo idea is cool and all but the reason most people go twin is for very high compressor demands. A single TO4E will out perform T25's and if you make a nice header for it you will gain big performance. I do rebuilds and rarely ever get good T25 cores, they are always trashed, good luck.

• 1 year later...

Instead of making a new thread. I search and found this of what I was planning on doing exactly as with the exact same turbo's even! lol. Now would there be anyway of sticking with the stock ecu and use some type of piggy ecu like a Apexi SAFC for larger injectors. Now what would I do concerning the AFM with two snails? Or is a completely different ecu be needed like SDS, Megasquirt....? The fabrication part wouldn't be the difficult for me alone with getting the flanges and everything else. Thats all covers but just that had me riddled.

I'm new to Z's and have dealt with honda's and being able to chip ecu's or run a piggy back ecu to help with fuel management issues. Now this is a whole new ball of wax to for me to learn. I've built kits before from scratch manifold included but I hate these damn AFM's on these cars! lol. I may venture into megasquirt for the price and haven't heard too much negative stuff compared to the positive points.

The stock ecu is extremely limiting. You can make it work, but it won't give you results that will make you happy. I just finished a megasquirt II install and have been very happy with the results. I would imagine similar results with any standalone.

Leaps and bounds have been made at tuning the z31 ecu's, Don't knock it, you can easily run 400+HP setups on that ecu. However in the case of a twin turbo, it might more complicated to plumb in the maf.