HybridZ

Is sloting the holes really needed?

The jtr books says to slot the holes in the (cant rtemember what they are called and books at home) things where the motor mounts bolt to something like 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch...

How many of u guys did this? I have a HEI distributor and a 73z. This is my second swap but the first was msa kit.

I was thinking that it might not even be needed but not sure..thanks, bob

Oh yeah.327 t-5

yeah thats what i figured..but i have read and read the post on this and some say they move it back w/hei while others have said they had to move the motor forward to make the hei fit.. guess its trial and error. anyone else have probs making the hei fit?

Depending on the trans you use it also helps you to get the shifter up through the floor and console in the stock position.

Like you, I have a 327 SBC with a T-5 but in a 1971 240Z. I located the engine back 3/4 of an inch so the shifter now comes up in the stock location. However, I did not use an HEI. Because of my Tri-Power setup I went with the small MSD billet distributor.

The emtpy block and T-5 are sitting in mine rith now. The bell housing is bumping up against some of the brake line mounting brackets on the top of the trans tunnel. Don't think I can move it back any. This is in a 260 coupe

Slot them now before the motor goes in. You'll be glad you did later. Besides fore and aft movement they allow you to rotate the motor for more better alignment of the tranny's tailshaft. If you are using the f-body T5 with the 15* tilt it's even more important. If you don't slot you end up putting shear loads on the motor mounts. Why stress your brand new mounts?

So the kit doesn't neccessarily like up everything like it is supposed to be? If I need the slots to align then I will put them in. I really didn't want to but oh well. I personally have the early F body bell housing. SO what creates the shear loads with this housing?

It allows you to push the motor back a little more....not absolutely necessary...
Like you, I have a 327 SBC with a T-5 but in a 1971 240Z. I located the engine back 3/4 of an inch so the shifter now comes up in the stock location.

The emtpy block and T-5 are sitting in mine rith now. The bell housing is bumping up against some of the brake line mounting brackets on the top of the trans tunnel.

I did a test fit yesterday with engine only and the engine is very far back touching the brake lines. strange how some have said they moved it back 3/4 of an inch and others say its already back as far as it will go... are the z different or are the blocks different? or maybe the mounts are different..hmmm I really dont think i could slot them enough to get the hei in.. maybe but it would be tight.

and on a different note, not trying to change the thread but this is kinda related.

Tried to mount the clutch to the flywheel but the clutch disk springs hit the bolts that hold the flywheel on. this is a 16 lb after-market steel flywheel. I tried grinding down the bolt heads but had to get them very thin and they just cleared by a cunt hair.. so #1 now i don't trust the bolts and #2 as soon as the disk wears down a little the bolts will touch the springs...hmmm

I ordered ARP flywheel bolts...get them tomorrow. A local speed shop said the APR (automotive racing products) flywheel bolts have thin heads and may clear the bolts..we shall see.

If not I will have no choice but to buy a new disc that has the 8 smaller diameter springs

I would say slot them. It makes it easier to line up the motor mounts when dropping in the engine.

Slotting these holes, removing the OEM tranny mounts and removing the spindle pins from the rear end is a right of passage to V-8 nirvana :D

David

I had to slot mine forward to just get the motor bolted to the mount.I do have HEI and it is real close to the firewall,but close is good enough.never had a problem in many years of V8 thrashing,including many years of autocrossing.There is probably some variance from car to car,especially if it has ever been tapped in the front.Getting all that motor in there is half the fun.....