HybridZ

LS1 Swap hardware

Hi guys,

Has anyone done the LS1 swap with the

brokenkitty.com (John's Cars Inc.) package? I'm interested in putting the LS1/T56 in my '77 Coupe, and I'm very wary of purchasing anything based on just the testimony of the website. Are any additional fabrications/tweaks necessary? The reason I'm asking is because I don't know how to weld and will need to hire someone if that's the case.

Mark

Guest Anonymous

Mark,

I got my JCI kit about 2 weeks ago. No welding will be required. Pieces are top notch, very well made. Phantom on this board was the test bed for JCI's kit. I'm sure he will chime in. My car is a 240-Z and will require some work to get the trans mount to work because the frame rails are a little different from 280 to 240. Hope this helps. Mark (also)

I bought the kit too. Mine is a 280Z and I will second your opinion on the quality of the parts, their top notch. With a little help on the time end of things I should get started on the swap within the next 2 months.

Dale

OK - Let me do a "me too!" I have nearly 7,000 miles on my conversion now. I use the car as a daily driver. Gobs of torque & HP and 20-22 mpg in combined driving witht the T56. John actually performed the conversion on my car so I not only got to see the workmanship in his parts but also the work ethic of he and his folks - they are top notch. Very meticulous and think things through.

I'm sure we'll all be able to answer any questions you may have. Even though the base components are the szame each conversion is a little different, LS1, LS6, T56, 4L60E, 280Z, 240Z, etc.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I probably won't be doing the swap anytime soon since I need to sell my 300 first, but I've read all the past strings on the LS1 swap and have learned a huge amount.

The only things that seemed a little iffy were making provisions for throttle cable, engine wiring, ecu and clutch hydraulics. How did you all accomplish those?? For those of you with 280's -did you use the stock gas tank, pump, filter, vapor system and hard lines??

Thanks again

MarkM

In my case the engine was a pulled engine so it came with wiring harness and ECU - both of which had to be modified for the Z installation. GM master cyclinder in place of the Nissan one and the clutch works fine. All new line/hoses.

Fuel system - I kept the stock 280Z tank, vapor system, and hard lines but obviously needed another pump for higher volume and pressure. Mounted in the same location as the original pump. Lines were rerouted inside the engine bay up and over at the firewall because of the different fuel rail inlet location on the LS1 vs the L28. Vapor cannister mounted inside the passenger side front fender well.

In my case the engine was a pulled engine so it came with wiring harness and ECU - both of which had to be modified for the Z installation. GM master cyclinder in place of the Nissan one and the clutch works fine. All new line/hoses.

Phantom,

:?: Does this mean you used the Camaro master out of the donor car? Did it bolt up or were mods required?

Also, another me too! I received my JCI kit last night. Parts quality looks first rate. :-D May have some parts missing, however, since when I received the box it was split open. :( Checking now to see what's missing if anything.

Nope. I don't remember which car it came out of as the Camaro one was designed for a sloped firewall where the Z has a vertical. E-mail John@johnscars.com and ask him. I don't think he's into reselling that part and he'll probably just tell you. Otherwise I'll look at mine and see if I can pick a part number off it. Had to change the hole pattern a bit to bolt it up. Not the same as the Z. Also had to relocate the windshield washer bottle & pump to in front of the radiator as the GM clutch MC unit was longer than the Z's and needed the space occupied by the washer unit.

:-D I"m as you probably know... Another me too!!!! My box also came damaged. I believe due to U.P.S. I thought I was missing a motor mount, The mounting on the kit with Johns directions.... All clear! John's has been great to deal with. Very nice guy. As for fuel see Joey's update pic's. No pic's on fuel yet, but... direction asper MAS280 on how to work it. Wiring... I used Dynatec, great product. I believe being a business owner, they need management. John recommends Howell or Chipsby. Unless you have a welder and alot of time.... John's is the way to go!!!! My rocket is about realeased!!!!!!!!!! All will be seeing my rear license plate LS1 Z :rockon:

JOEY-A.K.A. LS1 Z

Fuel system - I kept the stock 280Z tank' date=' vapor system, and hard lines but obviously needed another pump for higher volume and pressure. Mounted in the same location as the original pump. Lines were rerouted inside the engine bay up and over at the firewall because of the different fuel rail inlet location on the LS1 vs the L28. Vapor cannister mounted inside the passenger side front fender well.[/quote']

For what it's worth, the fuel rail can be turned around the other way and it will still bolt up fine for access to the passenger side.

Leaving the LS1 fuel rail in the "stock" position allows bringing the fuel lines up the firewall on the passenger side and then over. The advantage to this is two-fold:

1) It gets the fuel lines away from the headers/exhaust which is a very tight fit on the passenger side, and

2) It allows mounting the fuel filter on the firewall high on the passenger side where it is really easy to get to and will have minimal fuel leakage when changing.