HybridZ

What is it With Turbo Guys?

johnc

Guest 81na ZX
Car's back together. The same well known tuner flashes the ECU again with a more "conservative" boost plan (max boost same as stock' date=' but full in 1,500 rpm earlier). Car makes it 15 laps before smoke and oil everywhere. Quickly flash the ECU back to stock and get the car repaired under warranty but dealer is on to the scam. Warranty denied - $9,000 engine replacement bill looming.

The word "Tuner" is becoming synonymous with "Idiot."[/quote']

Wow, thats alot. I could build a 2.4L JUN 4G63 stroker with a huge turbo, and still have 6 months of gas for that price :D

Heck, last year I rebuilt a 4g63 for $500 (which included a new valve train and pistons). And yes that has to do with the post about, same basic engines ;)

Even Porsche was bitten by the bug. In the 917 series run at LeMans, the boost controller was driver adjustable. The screw for the controller was a coarse acme-style screw, with paintmarker around the spanned sweep of the controller valve showing "7, 9, 11, Q"

Standing for 700, 900, 1100Hp, and "QUALIFYING"

Apparently the little engineers did some testing, but not terminal failure testing, and gave the driver the leeway to just "run what it would do" when needed, and if it broke, it broke...

Taking from their wisdom: If it breaks, it breaks! :D

Anything that has a 270 degree sweep of a DIAL to give that much horsepower is far too advanced to believ it would simply fail if you tried it for a few bursts of "Q"!

Kinda like the two safety-wired switches under the port bulkhead of an F15, one is labeled "ECM", the other "VMAX"

"VMAX" is to be used for outrunning guided missles, and is only to be used for a 30 second burst. I can personally attest that the tailfeathers of the bird will all have heat-stress cracks when used for the full 30 seconds.

But the literal "kick in the back" when you are already doing 900+ knots is really awesome. I could say it skewes your perception of "power" somewhat I think... In my case it did.

"VMAX" is to be used for outrunning guided missles, and is only to be used for a 30 second burst. I can personally attest that the tailfeathers of the bird will all[/i'] have heat-stress cracks when used for the full 30 seconds.

F15 = my favorite aircraft - I was at the rollout ceremony for the first F15E (used to work at McDonnell-Douglas). Never got a ride though...

As I recall, whenever the flight recorders show that that switch has been thrown, standard prcedure is to pull the engines and tear them down. That's a pretty expensive switch throw :shock: .

Most likely worth every penny if you really needed it though.

"your tax dollars at work"! :lol:

When a SrA is in the backseat with a driver ready to separate, there is not a lot of goading required to convince him to flip the switch---it was, after all, an "Incentive Ride"! :D

That ride was fun, but I didn't reenlist because of it.

Now, if they would have had a recruiter on the tarmac after my AC-130 incentive ride, I would have signed a 20 year enlisment contract if they could warrant my placement on AC130 Aircrew Duty... I like to explode things! :twisted: