HybridZ

300 cu LT1

After my Z car installation, [sometime in the next millenium] I'll have a sound 350 LT1 block, a set or iron or aluminum lt1 heads, and a 5sp manual something out of a late '80s Camaro. I think I could mix and match LT1 parts for a strong 300ci. Are the little lt1 (265 ci)crank and rods readily run in the 350 block? If so are there balance problems? I note that the wrist pin location for both the 265/350 appears to be the same. The 265 PM rod is longer to make up the difference in stroke. (Something new for Chevrolet). One of my lying partners has an early AH Sprite body that would be a candidate for something new.

gw

Sorry folks, I posted much the same question last month. I've not been able to locate the Chevy Hi Performance Magazine article describing the swap. If anyone out there has any particulars or a copy of the article, I'd sure pay something more than copy costs and postage to have it.

gw

Tomahawk Z

Ray's post stated that the article came out in 1997, he didn't a month. He seemed to think the article was a 'how to do it" reprisal of a 300 ci 30th anniversary Z-28 that chevrolet had put together. I've never heard of the car, but I assume it is a one off show or concept car. He was sure that the article came out just before Chevrolet released the LS-1.

Hot Rod used to sell their old articles off the internet, but they ran into copyright problems and pulled the site.

gw

Mike, do you have any internet sites that might be more specific relating to the motor. I use google.com and havn't had a hit on any combination that refers to engine specifications. Lots of sites showing off their Anniversary z-28 with 350 engines. I thought it was only a cosmetic option.

gw

Guest Anonymous

GM was going to show a psuedo-replica Z28 at SEMA this year. It was to feature a modified LS-1 with LS-6 heads sporting a forged 283 crank...ala 302 ci. Here's the link.

http://media.gm.com/events/sema/c001025e.htm

went to the show today, but couldn't find the car at the GM display. Oh well, plenty of nice GT40s and others to look at, including the 220hp inline 5 cyl from GM...yes they will have inline 4,5 & 6s for their truck line soon. Lots of cute import models too....the girls not the cars.

Twydog

There was something MotorTrend a while back about a company that destroked the LS1s and LT1s to roughly a 302. I think they just had one Camero that was in the article. If I can find what company did it, you may be able to call and find out how they did it. Try searching google.com for "destroking LT1 or LS1"