HybridZ

tachometer problems

Is there a clever trick to successful connection of the stock 280Z tachometer to an HEI distributer? The ubiquitous JTR book mentions the connection of two wires from the ignition module in the passenger's footwell: (1) the blue wire going to the "tach" terminal (with a resistor in series) and the black-white wire going to the "bat" terminal. But that's with the ignition module removed! It seems to me that the blue wire would then be connected to nothing.

I've starting the rewiring of my electrical system from scratch. The ignition works, as do most of the lights. Now I have a bare ’78 280Z tachometer that I’m trying to connect. Evidently, only two wires are necessary for the tachometer to work: ground, and the connection between the tachometer receiver (green wire) and "tach" on the distributer. Done that way, the needle might bounce around, or be otherwise inaccurate, but at least there should be SOME signal. But I get no signal! Am I missing something, or does my tachometer have an internal problem?

• 5 years later...
Guest dragon

install a 15k resistor between distributer and tach then fine tune tach thru the small hole in tach.be very carefull,do not over tighten trim pot will break !!

• 3 years later...