HybridZ

the toyota that just won't die - links fixed, sorry...

nullbound

not sure if this has been posted yet, but, this is from the show topgear in the UK and shows a toyota truck surviving quite a few surprising situations. it's about 15 minutes long and you will enjoy... oh yes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/hilux_broadband.ram

it requires real player or the following http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm to view.

I always said, toyota.. thats where its at, they over engineer everything, look at the supra, 1000rwhp on stock bottom ends, nothing but a clutch in the entire driveline, stock rear end, stock axles, and the cars go 9's constantly without every replacing that stuff. I always had known the toyota trucks were amazing.. but that is F**king unbeleivable.. I know what im getting for my work truck now. Im keeping that as proof for anytime someone tells me toyota's suck.. a friend of mine works for lexus.. says its the best job ever, they almost NEVER get repair work, fact, at cobb county toyota on barrett parkway here in ga (MAJOR toyota dealership in the atlanta area) a friend of mine is a team leader, he says less than 6 % of all his work is repair, 94% of thier jobs is maintence on wear items and scheduled mileage stuff-which is at owners descresion, not because something broke, but because the owner feels they need to replace a timing belt at 80k. but that video.. incredible..

I love Toyotas, and I've owned one for the last 11 years, but I gotta say majik sounds a little sycophantic here. I guess your friend missed out on the 3L head gasket fiasco, and has never seen a 22RE break a timing chain and bend valves (mine did that at 45K on the Toyota timing chain), witnessed a 22re chain break the plastic guides several thousand miles after installation and watched the chain eat thru the timing cover, seen broken Birfields on the 4x4's, or had problems with the tiny little turbo on the 22RE trucks getting burnt up. Another small thing, I know, but I've replaced the fan resistor in my truck 4 times now. These are all Toyota truck specific problems, because neither I nor my friend's own any Toyota cars. I'm sure there would be a similar list of car problems if we did.

Toyotas are great, but no manufacturer is perfect. I think most of the problems I just mentioned would be on vehicles that are too old to bother having serviced at the dealer anymore and some wouldn't be covered under warranty, but they're out there believe me.

Side note-- just to poke fun at the Supra ricers in my old hometown (there were LOTS of them) I got the following license plate frame "TRD--What's that spell???" and stuck it on my Z. :D

The older Mazda pickups are hard to kill as well. I had a friend in high school who had one. He drove it off a 35 foot cliff several times, managing to bruise one of his ribs, bot not break the truck. The truck was also intentionally rolled several times, set on fire, and shot with various caliber firearms with no ill effects other than a broken windshield. I was very impressed by the rugged construction of the vehicle, fully boxed frame rails, 6 lug hubs, and pretty stout sheetmetal for an import. They definitely don't make them like they used to though :(

Mike

Guest subdermal

I've got two toyota 4x4s right now, and while I haven't exactly put mine through that level of abuse, I have always been impressed with their durability. Both have had electrical problems, and both have rust issues that other mid 80s vehicles typically don't have, but the drivetrain and engine are nearly bulletproof. The daily driver has 300,000 km on the motor and still purrs like it was brand new.

And one I get the Z sorted out, it's getting a v8 swap ;)

The Hilux is a very popular 4x4 in Australia, and is regarded as the toughest in its class. They aren't cheap, but they are worth it.

A large number of them in the outback would be in worse condition than the featured car was after they dropped the caravan on it (and all previous abuses)!!!

A friend of mine rolled one about 1/2 dozen times in the sand dunes up in the Moomba Gas Fileds (company car). Technically a write-off, but certainly still driveable.

He's since had a 4WD driving course! :oops:

My brothers 86 Toyota 4x4 with a 22r now has about 190k on it and it still runs good. Never had any major problems with it as far as I know and we've owned it since new. Although now it sports 35" tires, front and rear lockers, and some crazy low gears :D .[/img]

I saw that video a while ago....incredible! If that does not inspire potential Toyota Truck buyers ....nothing will.

I am sure the Toyota Media and Engineering Group might get a little extra kudos from Management after the exposure of that video, as it has really made its rounds on the internet and was very popular in Europe.

Yasin

not so crazy, but the all the 22r problems have been more than addressed on the 3s motors, and yes the hg problems weren't only in the trucks, the 7mgte in the supras blew them all the time, bu tthen again the 7m was originally supposed to be a truck engine. Although i forget most people are used to the gas motors, but the diesel ones like in that video which i dont think were sold here are NUTS. WE did a diesel motor swap on my freinds 96 4runner, and the thing is outright beastly.