HybridZ

3 Webers on L28 240z sat for 5yrs won't start

Guest Sha_B

Guest Sha_B

'72 240z with '76 280 engine and triple Webers, headers, mild cam

The thing has been sitting in a garage for 5-6 years. It probably was started a handful of times in that period, but not driven. Used to run ok years ago. Webers are 40 DCOEs from Motorsport Auto.

The fuel gage was on empty, so I put in 5 gallons or so of new gas, put in new oil, and tried to start it. With the manual choke pulled fully it will fire and try to run at a fast idle, only to die shortly thereafter (less than 30 seconds). It won't fire at all without the choke on, nor will it rev up at all. Giving it any gas kills the motor immediately.

I pulled each plug and confirmed a spark. I also pulled off the gas line at the last carburetor and there is decent gas flow (regulator is set to 3.5).

Air filters are clean. No obvious vacuum leaks.

The idle jets on the Webers looked to be plugged, so I cleaned them, but this made no difference (I thought I had solved the problem). The other jets looked clear.

From reading other posts here, it seems old gas may have done in my fuel system. But the pump is pumping plenty of gas to the carbs, so I have to assume the problem lies with the Webers. I just want the dang thing to start. I've got a Weber Carburetors book, but nothing in it seems to address my problems. I scoured the net and was fortunate to find this site.

I know the basics (and that's about all), but I'm completely out of ideas as to what to do next. I can't afford to take it to a garage, so I really appreciate the info here. Thanks in advance. I'll check in often if there is any info I can add to help.

You need to clean the carbs. 5 year old gas makes varnish that plugs up all the small orifices. You may need new parts so just get some potent carb cleaner, disassemble the carbs and clean it all up. You will know if the seals and gaskets are ok once you get started.