HybridZ

LS1 track day 11.1@122.8

I took the Z out to Sacramento race park today. I found out that I need slicks now. I had to take it easy in 1st gear, but I got some good times.

1.6 60'

7.1@97mph 1/8

11.1@122.8mph

Almost a 10 sec pass.

Mike

I took the Z out to Sacramento race park today. I found out that I need slicks now. I had to take it easy in 1st gear' date=' but I got some good times.

1.6 60'

7.1@97mph 1/8

11.1@122.8mph

Almost a 10 sec pass.

Mike[/quote']

Mike,

Congrats! Those are some great times. Way to go!

Any new mods to to your car since your last track runs?

It looks like you will meet the goal of building a 10 second car. The slicks should make the difference.

Scottie I already bought the new cam for the car, so I have to use it now. I think that the car is making the power if I can get it to hook up. Right now I can not give it full throttle until 2nd gear.

(Your numbers are dead-on and with a gain 25.8mph in the 2nd half) Is this something that i should look at, The gain from the 1/8 to the 1/4?

Thanks

Mike

Man every time you post Mike it makes me want to swap out my LT1 for the LS1. :lol:

If it was me I would hold of on the cam and work on the 60' with better tires. Your numbers are dead-on and with a gain 25.8mph in the 2nd half, that is stout!

I am kinda interested in what that means too :)

Guy

Rough rule of thumb to see if the car ran consistently in the 2nd half is:

1/8-mile ET * 1.57 = projected 1/4-mile ET

1/8-mile MPH * 1.26 = projected 1/4-mile MPH

For comparison, you ran 122.8 and I ran 134.44 with 106.15 at the 1/8-mile for a gain of 28.29. Typically big HP turbo cars will have more MPH and also keep in mind that I ran a 3.07 final drive AND locked up my converter in 3rd. Locking my converter is good for about 2 MPH so no lockup brings me down close to what you ran. Difference is my 60'.

Thanks for the info on the Rough rule of thumb. I think that I can get my 60' down into the 1.4 range with some good tires. I am going to wait for the flare's before I buy my new tires. Scottie what size tires did you run?

Mike

I tried and used several tires with varying success.

Ran 275/50-15 BFG and Nitto DRs and had a couple of 1.55s. Then switched to 275/40-17 Nitto DRs and they were useless at the track. I then went to 26x9.6x16 QTPs and they served me well into the 1.40s. Last tire I ran were some humungous 27x11.5x15 QTPs and the numbers speak for themselves. Even though the 3.8 is a low-revver, I was leaving the line at 4600+ on a t-brake and they would beg for more :D Love QTPs! Not only do they hook, but they do not lose pressure even w/o tubes.

Word of caution. If you decide to go to a bias-ply slick, seriously consider getting a set of bias-ply fronts also. With your speed it could get scary on top-end. I have several pairs of shorts with racing stripes in them from my experiences.

So because you run a say 1.4 and mike ran a 1.6 60' that equals over 10mph in the quarter! :shock: I know the 60' is important but +10mph! :shock: How much time can be made in the 60' say per .100 seconds?

Guy

HUH? Think you missed the point. Not trying to compare his ET or MPH or 60' to mine. What I was comparing was the MPH gained in the 2nd half. Main point was that despite me running much a quicker ET, much faster MPH, taller gearing and locking up my converter, I gained 28+ and he gained almost 26. If I did not lock my converter, the MPH gained wold be about the same.

Rule of thumb says .1 change in the 60' affects the ET by .15. The difference between his timeslip and mine is more than just a quicker 60'. There is a matter of about 100hp, which just helps emphasize the point about how well his car ran in the 2nd half.

• 3 weeks later...