HybridZ

drag suspension and brake issues

Ok i have a problem im trying to figure out. I want to use 3 inch draglites up front but with the new brake setup they dont clear the calipers unless i put a huge spacer on them. below are some before and after pics of the same wheel with stock brakes and then the z32 brakes. I will have huge willwoods in the rear ( i think 12.5-13 inch) with the ford 8.8 and want atleast the same size in the front. But i dont want to have to use a spacer to clear the rotors. Any suggestions?????

see the before look here

http://www.geocities.com/stonehac/

see the pics here of the after look

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/551235

BTW the one big issue I have with the current setup is i cant lower the car as much as i want because the frontrunner tire im running will hit the fender!!!! Notice in the pics how its kinda sitting lower in the rear.

I will have huge willwoods in the rear ( i think 12.5-13 inch) with the ford 8.8 and want atleast the same size in the front. But i dont want to have to use a spacer to clear the rotors.

13 inch REAR rotors? You're going to have some serious brake balance problems unless you've got the piston and master cylinder sizes all figured out.

Isn't your car a dedicated drag car?

From your descritption it sounds like you'll need to run the spacers because you need to get the wheel centers to clear the calipers. Is that true? If so, you can machine the rotor adapter and the front caliper mounts to mover the caliper inboard.

Guest JAMIE T

I think one of your problems is that the Z31 hubs set the wheel about 3/4" more than stock. If you check out my post alittle further down the list (I think it is entitled "Possible product development"). You'll see I'm getting some 5-lug hubs made that have the OE S30 offset. They are designed specifically for the Cobra 13" brakes of which the caliper(twin piston PBR) is much thinner than a 4 puck of any make. I know the mustang racers use skinny drag wheels with them all the time. You may need a 1/4" spacer if any at all. Just a thought.

Also, what rear brakes are going on your 8.8?

Yes i read your post and i agree with you. This is also why im considering starting over with a stock set of struts. Have you come up with a price yet for the kit? I'd be very interested in it if it's affordable. what i would hope to do is sell my setup and get a stock setup for partial payment. then use the money to buy a kit somewhat like yours if not yours.

the brakes are the willwood kit for the 8.8 they look huge but i wasnt comparing them to the fronts on my car

no i drive it to and from the track....well last year it was too the track and trailer it home :x

I will be running in excess of 140mph this year and dont want to depend on "SMALL" brakes. the rear wilwoods are actually 11 inchers. the fronts are 11.5-12 inch nissan rotos so my bias shouldnt be too bad.