Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

DSC00008.JPG

This is what needs to be cut from drivers side tower to clear rack

DSC00004%7E1.JPG

Rack in place

DSC00002%7E1.JPG

DSC00005%7E0.JPG

Top rack mount, mount was cut in half and a section of 2 inch square tubing welded in place to locate rack

DSC00007%7E0.JPG

Front shot of cross member. Note pocket cut out to allow rack to fit. Also lower driverside rack mount was modified with 2 inch section of square tubing cut in half to locate rack. My JCI kit will not work with this rack. Looks like I'll be removing the stock towers and making a cross member to mount the ls-1. If you have questions post them here or email me. My pm's don't work. Mark mwicard@aol,com (dot no comma)

Mark, Will the datsun tie rod ends fit to make it the right size. I am going to post some pics of my motor to see if it will clear the motor. It looks like it will be close to the motor. Thanks for the info.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I used 280ZX inner tie rods. I had to drill and retap the ends of the rack one size larger to fit the nissan parts. Then used two right hand threaded tie rod ends from a 73 rack to fit the new inner tierods. The rack ends are hardened. If I was going to do this again I would have a machine shop do it. I used a couple of metric drill bits (not cheap) to resize the holes.

Guest Zachb55

wow, thats gonna be pretty nice having that thing on there helping you guide the beast where need be. i thought this swap was more straight forward? is there a different one that had less fab. work?

-Zach

Guest Mark21

Mike,

I have no idea what happened to my account. Computers hate me. Dan is working on it.

I'm the Mark form NC. Same guy.

I don't think there is a WRX rack that will bolt in with out cutting the tower but I would love for some one to prove me wrong. There has to be a power rack out there that is at least close to bolt in.. Mark

Guest Mark21

Mike,

Looks like your mounts will still work with the WRX rack. I was thinking of useing some round tubing where the tower was cut to add some strength back where it was cut and allow a passage for the steering shaft.

Glenn

I'll be using the ls-1 pump. Hope it works out OK

• 1 year later...

I think it was the 2002 wrx. It's been a while since these posts and I had the rack for a year or so before I started messing with it. Time flys and so does my memory.

It is a wrx rack, I'm sure of that.

Well,

my hard drive took a dump so I lost all my pics and the car is in the shop getting a cage. Rack was not hard to modify to accept Z parts but I would get a machine shop to drill and tap the ends to accept the larger threads of the 280zx inner tie rods.

Cross member needs to be modified. Nopt sure you could do it with the engine in the car.

How is it to drive? WHo knows, I've only been working on this project 2 years. Others (DOT) have completed the project and can chime in.