HybridZ

Project Silver Bullet - 240Z LS1 Swap Udate #5 Minor Delays

I worked on the car again this weekend. Tried to get the trans mount installed. Minor problem. The JCI trans mount will not fit into the 240Z. The trans mount was designed for the 280Z. The 280Z trans tunnel is wider then the 240Z and also the frame rails that the trans mount attaches to are different on the 240Z and the 280Z. The frame rails are much bigger on the 280Z.

I spoke to John at JCI on Monday and he is going to mock up a 240Z roller he has to create a new Trans mount. He said he would get right on it and he was very apoligetic for the problem. He has been great to work with. Very accomodating.

I plan to pull the motor back out and replace the cracked oil pan. I can get a new one from the dealer for $160. I will spend some time detailing the motor and the engine compartment as well as starting to run the fuel lines and get the fuel system going.

Check out the pics at the link below. I will continue to update.

David,

Did you check the transmission fit while you had it in there?

My 280Z required a minor dimple on the passenger side of the tunnel for the reverse lock-out switch on the T56. A 240Z requires some serious pounding to make room for the 4L60E. I think you're going the automatic route - right? If you can track down Gary McPhail (Lone Star 1) he could probably give you some info on what he had to do even though he didn't use the JCI kit.

David' date='

My 280Z required a minor dimple on the passenger side of the tunnel for the reverse lock-out switch on the T56. A 240Z requires some serious pounding to make room for the 4L60E. I think you're going the automatic route - right? If you can track down Gary McPhail (Lone Star 1) he could probably give you some info on what he had to do even though he didn't use the JCI kit.[/quote']

Yes the automatic 4l60e is the trans I am using. The trans seems to fit fine. I was really surprised as I was prepared for a much tighter fit. Only some minor pounding will be necessary to allow the edge of the trans pan not to rub on the passenger side. The drivers side has plenty of clearance. I will take some pics next time I am under there.

David' date='

My 280Z required a minor dimple on the passenger side of the tunnel for the reverse lock-out switch on the T56. A 240Z requires some serious pounding to make room for the 4L60E. I think you're going the automatic route - right? If you can track down Gary McPhail (Lone Star 1) he could probably give you some info on what he had to do even though he didn't use the JCI kit.[/quote']

Are you sure about that? My T56 from a 99 firebird has the reverse lock out on the drivers side.