HybridZ

Unusual turbo motors

Guest POKINATCHA

Guest ON3GO

well the story behind it is this shop built the car, its crazy someing like 780rwhp and plenty of torque to the wheels, and the car was under 2100lbs. was geared for 70 or so mph rolls and thats it, they built it to build it, thats all. :)

the asian guys yelling were in a 450hp corrolla that was behind the white 20B car. they started yelling when they saw the white car spin the tires at a high mph and then shoot off. funny thing is they had the red corrolla floored before the 20B car gassed it.

by far one of the coolest and fastes cars out there and one of the coolest videos.

Mike

Guest ON3GO

funny thing too, i drove my teachers 2.3 SVO turbo motor mustang today at school. WOW, if my green Z is gonna be near that fast ill be happy, it was like the motor didnt like going slow :), turbo spooled and watch out..

very wicked.

and yeah you are right on about the focus drag car using the 2.3.

mike

that 20B Corrolla is BY FAR the fastest thing ive seen go from a 50mph punch or so!

that car is just killer' date=' and i think it would be a sweet swap in a S30 Z, but its a very mega hard and mega money motor swap, the 20B never came with a manual tranny so you gotta get one that fits, and the motor is killer money, and then you deff need a standalone EMS to run it, and a nice custom turbo setup to make it mount and fit right in a Z.

pretty much you need the best of the best parts and all new parts if you do that swap, like good cooling system, good mega money clutch, might as well port the motor and also put new seals in it while its not in the car, and your gonna need to up the fuel system too.

man it would be a sweet swap though.

Mike[/quote']

yeah, thats why its not an option. I was just saying that i wouldnt go with a 13bt

I have seen an old chevy 292 inline 6 turbo charged. It was a car that appeared in a Hot rod mag 3 or 4 years ago. A 1938 ford or something like that. The car was a street car but was running in the 9's in the 1/4 mile. I think he was running over 20 lbs of boost into a Holley carb! He used a power-glide for a tranny.

I bet the ford 300 inline 6 could do the same. Or even better, pontiac made a overhead cammed 6 in the late 60's for the firebirds. I think it was around 250 cid.

Guest POKINATCHA

Those older american straight sixes would be cool to play with, but wouldn't you basically have to totally rebuild the bottom end for boost? Also, are the stories about the 2.3L's stock cylinder heads cracking exaggerated, or is an aftermarket aluminum head a must-have for really high performance builds?

Guest POKINATCHA

How well do the stock 2.3 heads flow? Do they have a distinct advantage over the various L-series heads? Also, how about turboing a N/A 2JZ Supra engine? A lot of Lexus guys are making goofy amounts of power with just head gasket replacements, and the motors are pretty cheap. I've seen several longblocks for between $5-700, which is a far cry from the asking price of most twin turbo Supra engines.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bobnagga

Sorry, this is prolly an old topic, but I gotta get my .02 on the ford 2.3L turbo... stock, Intercooled in a big old boat '80's style thunderbird: 65 mph in 2nd gear... with a 5 speed... Damn. My Z wouldn't do that with the stock n/a L6. And it's about 2/3 the weight of an '84 T'bird. That engine is what I originally wanted to swap into my Z before the chevy 305, but it's too far gone to consider reliable... I found a Merkur xr4ti at the junkyard here in town with the same engine, and almost forked out the cash on the spot for the motor and wiring and ECU... the only thing stopping me was the fact that a tranny was no where to be found for it. Actually, I may end up giving my brother that 305 and taking his merkur engine out of the bird.

And just to clear things up... The merkur and ford used the same engine, but the merkur has a higher boost than ford used. The engine in my bro's bird (used to be mine) is actually out of a merkur.

Did you know that datsuns used the SAME turbocharger with a slightly smaller compressor? That's right. I blew the turbo on the bird (leaked all the oil out and it blew within 2 blocks) I later got a '83 ZX parts car that had the l28ET. The engine was blown, so I took the turbo off to see if I could fetch some money off of it.... Then I got to lookin at it... and Damned if it wouldn't bolt straight up to the exhaust on the 2.3! Slightly modified of course, being as the exhaust is on the opposite side of the pinto 2.3

kay, I'm done. I would definately reccomend this swap, but I called ford and everything on it is "obsolete" in other words, ford can't even get ford parts. go figure.

I don't think getting parts for a 2.3 is very hard. They are the motor to have in 4 banger dirt track cars. I've seen claims of 275 hp normally aspirated thru a Holley 390, and I actually believe them. A lot of rednecks have been working on that engine for a long time...

Jmortensen is right. The ford 2.3 may not have a big oem market anymore, but it has a huge selection of racing aftermarket parts. I used to work with a guy that raced dirt 4cyl and after he got out of it put one of his motors into an old lx mustang hehe. That thing with dual webers and a very lumpy cam just sounded flat out evil for a 4 banger.

Guest bobnagga

never said they were hard to get parts for... I just said ford can't get ford parts. Go figure. I think my next project will be a 280z with a 2.3l turbo swap where my current one is a 280zx with a chevy 305...

I like the idea of a rotary as well, but I would go 13b rather than 20b.... not only is it a very expensive route to go, but it is also HUUUUGE, I think it would be an extreme mod, and compromise the weight ratio's, that could be tweaked easily to perfection with the 13b motor. Seriously, how much HP do you need, realistically? you could fairly easily do 500 to 600 out of the 13b, without compromising handling or your budget. I would love to jump into a S30 and play with HP throughout a 8000rpm range.

I like the idea of a rotary as well, but I would go 13b rather than 20b.... not only is it a very expensive route to go, but it is also HUUUUGE, I think it would be an extreme mod, and compromise the weight ratio's, that could be tweaked easily to perfection with the 13b motor. Seriously, how much HP do you need, realistically? you could fairly easily do 500 to 600 out of the 13b, without compromising handling or your budget. I would love to jump into a S30 and play with HP throughout a 8000rpm range.

at 500-600hp out of a 13b, you can kiss reliability goodbye. Besides, i like my torque down low rather than having to wait until 3000rpm for it to kick in.

Guest POKINATCHA
tannji wrote:

at 500-600hp out of a 13b, you can kiss reliability goodbye. Besides, i like my torque down low rather than having to wait until 3000rpm for it to kick in.

I actually have a 13B sitting down in my garage waiting for me to weld up mounts for my 240Z :) . As far as 600 hp reliably? Well, I guess a lot of that depends on your definition of reliability. If you really build the engine and you can tune it well (really well) and you're meticulous about maintenance, it has a chance. There are quite a few guys out there that at least claim to make that kind of power and still drive the car pretty consistently. On a budget, though, I don't see it happening, although I guess that, again, your concept of budget can be a lot different than mine (for your sake I hope it is :D). Upgraded apex seals are a MUST at that point, and while people use several different set-ups, I think the most prevelant solution for "bullet-proof rotaries" is 3mm ceramic pieces, which are freakin pricey. Certainly, though, the thing is just never going to compare to a 2JZ or a 3.8 GN or some of the other really stout engines that some of the members here are using as far as outright strength. Of course, if you don't want to drive the car on the street, at least not enjoyably, a big turbo and a peripheral-port is simple in design, although reliablilty is gonna take a nasty hit and you're talking about a power band out near 10,000 RPM. Like tannji wrote, how much power would you really need? Especially when you consider that a rotary setup is going to be considerably lighter than the L-series it'd be replacing. I would gladly "settle" for 400 hp in a car that weighs less than 2200 lbs., and at the 400 hp level I think you could expect a MUCH more streetable 13B than you would end up with at 500+.

• 4 months later...