HybridZ

Unusual turbo motors

Guest POKINATCHA

Guest POKINATCHA

So, just for kicks, anybody have any kinda off-the-wall, fairly affordable engine swaps they've been thinking of? Maybe a Tacoma 2.7 liter 4 or an older Chevy V6 you've been thinking about slapping a hairdryer on? A BMW 3 ( not neccesarrily an M3) series inline 6? I know somebody has some cool ideas :-D

Guest POKINATCHA

Nope, not at all. I was just curious what ideas other people have come up with. I saw the thread on the older Dodge turbo motors, and I saw a Corolla with a built 3TC turbo engine running 10's, and I just wanted to see what else was out there that I've never even thought of.

my ultimate swap would be a stage-3 turbo'd e-36 m3 engine... but so much for affordable. :cry: i've heard all i need to hear about the smoothness of the n/a engine and have read that the turbo cars are unchained beasts... and the average e36 has at least 900 pounds on a 240.

i have to say i'm really intrigued by the rotary setups... if only for how the packaging would make the car feel. light engine... seamless power... the potential to blow it up at any given time... my kind of car! :twisted:

I think the new dodge srt-4 motor in a Z would be a very good swap. It makes about 270hp at the crank in stock form (severely underrated from factory for '04), and if you can get a nice 5 speed for it to use for rwd, it'd be an excellent platform

My thought would be a Volvo Turbo... Something out of the late 80's (240, 740,?) It's a 2.3 4 banger that IIRC made about 180-200Hp stock. Its a 'tried and tested engine (I think Volvo used it for about 15 years or more!) and it's tough. Stock turbo set to a tame 6-7psi stock, but I would say they are capable of 10-12psi no prob. Heck, they haul around heavy Volvos repectably, so it'd probly go real nice in a Z! Stick a bigger IC in, stick a manual boost controler on it, and have fun!

So, just for kicks, anybody have any kinda off-the-wall, fairly affordable engine swaps they've been thinking of? Maybe a Tacoma 2.7 liter 4 or an older Chevy V6 you've been thinking about slapping a hairdryer on? A BMW 3 ( not neccesarrily an M3) series inline 6? I know somebody has some cool ideas :-D

Only one I know of thats affordable to me is the L28et, drops right in, uses factory parts that can be found pretty easily (for me) and has given me nothing but pure satisfaction.

what about the turbo engine out of the merkur XR4TI?? it produces 175 hp at 5000 rpm and 200 ft torque at 3000 rpm. I dont know anythign about these engines so they might be crap, but it would definatly be original. its also from a RWD vehicle so the swap shouldnt be that hard.

Guest ON3GO

the 2.3 is a mazda design and its very strong and reliable.

can make a TON of power.

its found in the SVO mustang, 87 or so Ranger turbo, and probe and mazda mx6 turbo's.

i have a teacher at my school who has a GT mustang with a SVO motor in it. has some work done to it like conquest fmic, fuel controller of some kind, boost controller, port work, and other bolt ons but the kicker is he is running 24psi out of the stock turbo and on stock internals. im sure its on 110 octanem but still! i was like ok 24psi, thats blowing hot air, but its not. keep in mind he is a hot rod teacher and has been building and tuning cars his whole life. anyways the 2.3 is a great motor and a good idea!

Mike

the 2.3 is a mazda design and its very strong and reliable.

can make a TON of power.

its found in the SVO mustang' date=' 87 or so Ranger turbo, and probe and mazda mx6 turbo's.

i have a teacher at my school who has a GT mustang with a SVO motor in it. has some work done to it like conquest fmic, fuel controller of some kind, boost controller, port work, and other bolt ons but the kicker is he is running 24psi out of the stock turbo and on stock internals. im sure its on 110 octanem but still! i was like ok 24psi, thats blowing hot air, but its not. keep in mind he is a hot rod teacher and has been building and tuning cars his whole life. anyways the 2.3 is a great motor and a good idea!

Mike[/quote']

cool, i think that might just be what i will go with. Im still on the fence abot an engine choice. I was thinking rotary, but if i was to go rotary it would have to be a turbo 20b. I was also thinking of an rb26 but im not rich so thats out the door. i also like the LT1 idea, and the blown 302 ford idea...i dont know, we will see.

Guest POKINATCHA

Good call on the WRX. I'd love to know the width of the 2 liter or even the older 2.5RS engine. That would be a pretty cool setup. The Ford/Mazda 2.3 seems interesting too, but are they really an improvement over an L-series as far as power potential?

We have been through the wrx thing in the past. I think i even supplyied mesurements at the time. I cant actually remember if it fitted though, but if it does then why not a svx turbo 6. Another couple of engines that could be mounted north south, Saab, and the Audi turbo five. Those sound really cool witha open exhuast. the volvo was a good idea as well, There has been huge power made out of those.

Douglas

if you cant afford a RB swap then the 20B is undo-able. its MEGA bucks.

Mike

Very true. It is not unusual for $15k+ to be dropped on this swap. There are individuals who have gotten killer deals on engine/tranny combo's, but they are the exception to the norm. There's a video, that's been in circulation for some time now, of a 20B in an AE86 Corolla... amazing.

Guest ON3GO

that 20B Corrolla is BY FAR the fastest thing ive seen go from a 50mph punch or so!

that car is just killer, and i think it would be a sweet swap in a S30 Z, but its a very mega hard and mega money motor swap, the 20B never came with a manual tranny so you gotta get one that fits, and the motor is killer money, and then you deff need a standalone EMS to run it, and a nice custom turbo setup to make it mount and fit right in a Z.

pretty much you need the best of the best parts and all new parts if you do that swap, like good cooling system, good mega money clutch, might as well port the motor and also put new seals in it while its not in the car, and your gonna need to up the fuel system too.

man it would be a sweet swap though.

Mike

that 20B Corrolla is BY FAR the fastest thing ive seen go from a 50mph punch or so!

A bit OT, but...

The best part of that video is listening the Japanese guys yelling as the car is accelerating! It's been awhile since I've seen it, but it's just awe inspiring. There... I am done! :-D

Speaking of the Ford 2.3, It was also used as a carbureted version in the Pinto and Courier pickups. It can make some SERIOUS power and is tough as hell. One of the 7 second Focus drag cars threw out the focus motor and used the 2.3 instead to make ~4000 hp. Yeah thats not a typo hehe.

Here is a Pinto that has been punched out to 2.5 with 14:1 compression and 18psi boost running 8.92.

Freakin insane =)

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/jan00pinto.htm