HybridZ

suspension, rims, etc

first off, not looking to get the 'use the search function' book thrown at me. (because i went through every last post i could find about this)

PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong (on anything)..

ok, i've been looking at upgrading the suspension on my car.. i finally decided that i would get the following:

tokico hp shocks (already purchased.)

eibach pro-kit springs

energy suspension master bushing kit (set on it)

sway bars (set on it)

strut tower bars (set on it)

the goal as far as suspension goes is to have a fairly tight, good handling setup.. reguardless of harshness, noise, etc. (preparing for a turbo swap, and i'm just tryin to do things in the right order.. no use in putting 300hp in a car that can't handle it :P)

anyway, this is where i've run into problems.. i started looking at rims, and so i decided it was about time i ran through this section looking for what offset, backspacing, etc. that i need to look for. none of the rims i like seem to match the specifications that the Z requires (4x4.5" - 114.3mm, 0mm offset, 4" backspacing). also, as i understand.. most rims larger than 16x7.5, will rub on the spring/shock setup (ie.. not coilovers).

now basically what i'm trying to figure out, is exactly what i should do. all i'm worried about right now is suspension and rims (maybe brakes too). i basically want a 'not so god aweful expensive' setup, like what arizonaZ sells. if i need to go the coilover route to fit larger tires/rims, can i use the tokico hp shocks i already bought? and if so, whats probably the best coilover package i can get?

as far as rims go, i do NOT want to use a spacer, i'd rather convert to 5-lug. the problem with 5-lug is, everything i see is 240,260,280z conversions.. i really don't see anything definative for the 280zx (if you can point me at one i'd appretiate it).

this all seems like one big runon (thats cause it is in my head lol -- sorry)

but basically i'm tryin to find out if i should go the coilover route, and if so.. can i use my tokico hps? then, if i do that.. should i go ahead and convert to a 5-lug hub? if so, what does this consist of.. and where would i start?

or should i just plain stick with my original plan and just try to locate some rims that'll fit my car & taste?

basically just looking for opinions from you guys, i really wanna do this right and not buy useless stuff that will end up screwing me in the end :?

You can install coilovers and keep the shocks you bought so long as you don't section your struts. If you don't plan on lowering your car more than 1" to 1 1/2" you are fine. More than that and you should consider sectioning. I can highly recommend going with coilovers. It's a $400 initial investment but you get more clearance for wider tires, height adjustability, and springs are easier and cheaper to change should you find you want to. Buy them from Ross Corrigan a.k.a. Modern Motorsports LLD. Great guy, member here. Ross' site also has info and kits on five lug conversions but I don't know if they are available for the S130 body.

You probably don't like billet style wheels but Billet Specialties sells semi custom wheels made to your specs, bolt pattern and backspacing, for a very reasonable price. They will also make 10" wide rims in four bolt, something Centerline will not do.

Guest Aaron

I second what Dan said. You may be able to convert to 5 lug by swapping to the 300ZXT 5 lug front hubs just like the older cars. I have no proof that it works, but I know Ross had 5 lugs on his ZX, and I don't know how it would affect your backspacing. You would have to have your rear axles redrilled to the same pattern, and the rear rotor also (the 300ZXT rear rotor might work instead).

You will definately want to upgrade to larger brakes. Ross hads a sweet 13" setup for the ZX's. If you want off the shelf parts, you may be able to adapt the 13" Mustang setup that has been discussed in a recent thread.

I have a set of modern motorsports coilovers on my car and I love em. :) I this it's a good investment, though you'll have to figure out some solution for the rear springs. Ross has been through all this with his 280zx and he's probably a good one to ask about the specifics. I wouldn't buy the pro-kit personally... I base that only on others reviews of it, but it simply isn't the solution for someone that wants a good handling setup regardless of harshness, noise, etc.

Kudo's for addressing the suspension and brakes first.

As for wheels, if you do a 5 lug conversion you'll have wheels galore available to you, and very reasonable prices.

well, i think i'm going to go ahead and do the coilovers..

i posted my hp shocks on ebay last week (it ends tonight..). i even was going to take a small loss if i could sell them, but nobody has bought them.. and with 3 hours left i highly doubt anyone will.

i'm only looking for approximately a 1" drop, maybe a bit more.. but nothing drastic. i'd like to use the hps with the coilovers so we'll see how this works out. i sent ross an email about the coilovers, hopefully i can get this ball rolling soon.

i believe i'm going to purchase the coilovers and the poly bushings, get them installed and what not.. then i'll look into the brake upgrades and 5 lug conversion. damn 7/hr doesnt cut it haha =D

thanks for the help guys :)

i'll probably post back when i hear from him.

A few more thing to consider:

-G-machine TC rod kit, works great and is cheap (the MSA one works on the 280zx, but list it only for the Z, Victoria racer sell the same exact kit and lists it appropriately for the Z and ZX)

-MSA rear camber/toe adjustment kit. It was a reasonable amount of extra labor to install (the kit is cheap), but what an incredible difference. Most of the ZXs get some toe out (check any old alignment sheet that you may have from before) which makes the rear of the car unstable/squirrely and give it wicked oversteer. I ended up taking out my rear crossmember (put new bushings there as well) and then used 2 as opposed to 1 rear kit which allowed me to adjust rear toe and camber seperately(each kit allows for one of two control arm mounts to become adjustable, when used that way you can't adjust toe and camber seperately). It made an amazing improvement, it felt like the suspension was reborn, one of single best mods on the car (my toe was slighlty out). If your toe is slightly out, the kit is a must and the car will never handle the way it should without it (much much more important than having coil overs). If your toe is in spec, then you don't have to have it, but if you are big on handling, it will be well worth it IMO. If you plan on taking it to the track on a regular basis (open track or autocross) then it's a must again and will allow you to tune your suspension.

-Front camber adjustable bushing. These kits only allow for a little bit a camber adjustment and may wear out after some years, so not as nice as camber plate, but is is very easy to install and cheap. It allowed me to get my camber right were I wanted.

I haven't done coil overs, so can't tell you about those inthe ZX (maybe some day). Yasin has them in his ZX, said the rear was a pain in the a$$, but like most, is very happy with them.

Yeah I should mention than in the rear of my car especially, once dropped I picked up a lot of negative camber, and used the offset bushing method to dial it out. I also would highly recommend the ball & socket type TC rod bushing (like G-machine) over urethane given the experienced with broken TC rods using pure urethane mounts. The ball & socket style won't bind like the urethane can.

sweet someone with a 280ZX. You plan on doing the same things I want to do. I plan on doing brakes this summer. I'll have to check out modern motorsports like that one guy said. The only dif is my 280ZX is a 2+2. I plan on getting my car really low. probably like 4" off the ground for a low center of gravity. I'd like to do coilovers and then put 17" rims on the car. I dunno about you but I trying to create a Z suitable for drifting torture. Right now I have way too much body roll. I wanna have that car ride like a go cart literally. I want it to be stiff. I personally like the harsh ride, it's part of the experience I think. Back on the 17" rims in the front I'd like 8.5"-9.5" rims and the rear 10"-12"rims. Of course with those huge rims I have drawn up a design for four inch flares similar to that blue 240Z that is posted on this thread. I think it'd be awesome witha good bodykit. (custom that is). Sorry motorsport but your kits suck. I'm modernizing my Z. And its a 1979.

totally agree on the harshness stuff, thats what driving a car is all about! i love to feel everything and know im in control. i'm still waiting to hear from the guy @ modern motorsports, maybe i'll have to email him again. =P yes, i agree again, i think i'll be going 16, maybe 17" rims. thinking 255 rear 235(?) front. i dunno about actual rim width though, need to get a brake/lug conversion done before i even get to that stage hehe =)

nice to see more 280zx owners on here :)

fun times.

• 2 years later...

another way to go is to get a lug converter, which makes your lug pattern into a 4x100, giving you an infinite amout if rims for dirt cheap prices on your car. thats the way i went and so far they work perfect.

also i actually have an extra set a lug converters that i dont know what to do with if your interested (send me a message) i'll take the a bit of a loss and give them to you for $180. they reatail for $215 and modern motorsport, and there brand new!