HybridZ

Are there any big brake upgrades for the 280ZX. (12inch or> rotors , 4 piston calipers, and whatnot?)

If not, how big are the performance rotors, diameter ways from motorsport auto?

Also are there adjustable coilovers for the 280ZX. I know they make'em for the 240Z, 260Z, 280Z, Z31, Z32, 350Z. What about the 280ZX?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this price

$309.95 plus shipping for all four adapters? Oh shoot now I think I could get some awesome brakes. Wilwood, Brembo, Stoptech, or something and some awesome awesome rotors. At this rate my brakes will costa as much as i originally paid for the car or more. A whooping $1200. Who cares, I'll love it. At least my car will be prepared for it's 650HP future.

The $309 is for the front hats & mounts. You already have discs in the rear. With 80% of your braking on the front, you should upgrade those first and see where you are at. I'm sure you'll have plenty and you can use the money to do other things, like make it go faster!

Oh, you can definitely go with a cool Wilwood setup all the way around for $1200 or so. You won't be able to do anything in the way of Stoptech or Brembo. I spent some time on the phone with the guys at Brembo and their calipers won't fit w/o major work and R&D. Wilwood has really got a hold on the market for low clearance applications, which is what a Z fits in, unless you go with wheel adapters and a FWD offset wheel. In any case, you won't find a more cost effective setup than Juan's Wilwood setup (or comparable). To get a Brembo setup built, I was quoted $7k ($3500 per axle), definitely much more than you paid for the car!! Stoptech calipers are the same design and nearly as expensive. Hope that helps!

the calipers he lists, are they four piston calipers? And can you get stainless brake lines for them and are they good with the OEM master cylinder.

Would it be better if Ijust replaced the rears OEM put on performance pads ans stainless brake lines and then do the big brakes up front with all the goodies?

Yep, there are several 4 piston calipers that will work with Juan's setup. I would upgrade the fronts and add a good pad (Porterfield, etc) on the rear, stainless lines and call it good. Since you already have the 15/16" master cylinder, you should be able to just put everything on and be good to go!

I'm using JSK's kit and it has worked out great. Not only the car stops in a beautiful way, fast, solid, great feedback, confidence inspiring, smile on my face....

The car has been driven double time (one driver then another driver immediately after) for some very long and hard track days (open track for five straight 40 minute sessions in one day and 30 autocrooss runs on another day, many runs in the twisties, all with absolutely no hint of fade whatsoever).

I kept the rear stock set up and put portefield R4 S pads all around. Interestingly, the front/back balance is quite good and I did not need a proportioning valve which I was sure I would have needed (my car used to lock up the rear prematurely before, so I guess this evened it out).

stock brembo vented rotor next to new wilwood 12.19 by 1.25" curved vane rotors ($45 each) and JSK hat :D

normal_caliper%202%7E0.jpg

wilwood forged superlite caliper (they were black, I painted them), 4 1.75" pistons ($140 each)

normal_caliper.jpg

normal_caliper%202.jpg

what size wheels/tires are you running? how much did you lower your ZX?

I'm using eibach pro kit/tokico. dropped the car about 1.5" The car is early in a turn in that picture so the suspension is slightly compressed. All control arm bushings are adjustable and poly. I find it very suitable for a street/track car.

tires are 225/45/17 (same diameter as stock), Khumo 712 supra. Nice predictable tire, good for agressive street driving, could be stickier for the track (specially autocross). I plan on getting the Khumo ecsta MX next in 245/40/17's.

Can you use the MSA stainless lines with those. Also did you need a kit to fit the caliper on

Yes, I'm using my old stainless lines, along with a $2.00 adapter to screw it into the caliper (wilwood is not metric)

I got the JSK kit which is listed at $309 which includes the hats for the rotors to mount on and the bracket to mount the caliper. So my complete set up costs me about $700 which I found to be a steal (excluding brake pads)

will that fit in my 15" wheel?

the kit can fit in some 15" wheels, wilwood also sells a smaller bodied (narrow mount) 4 piston caliper for tight fittings. I believe Juan at JSK can tell you what the inner diameter of the wheel need to be to clear the set up (I believe he is using the same size caliper as mine on his car which has 15" rims). Drop him an email, he is very nice to deal with.

The stock rear brakes on the ZX are more than adequate, all it needs are good pads to match. I thought that the big front kit would overpower the rear stock, but it did not, nor did they fade on the track.

Go to JSK's website, you can email him thru there.

Regarding rim width, unfortunately they are only 7" wich is good for the 225's. 8" or more would be preferable for 245's, but I'm not about to get new rims, so will do with what I have (there is more room in the ZX than the Z wich allows for 245's with stock fenders and strut housing).

I HAVE A SET OF ORIGINAL 280zx TURBO WHEELS. dO YOU THINK THE BRAKES WILL FIT AND GET ENOUGH VENTILATION.

SO IF THEY DO FIT HOW DOES THIS SOUND. 12" ROTOR 4 PISTON CALIPER KIT UP(JSK) FRONT AND HIGH PERFORMANCE BRAKE PADS WITH EITHER SLOTTED ROTORS OR OEM ROTORS, AND NEW OEM CALIPERS WITH STAINLESS BRAKE LINES.

Well the big brakes will have to wait. My parents won't let me put $700 worth of brakes on my car. They said all I can do is perforance brake pads, new OEM calipers in the front and stainless brakes lines all around. Darned it. This is gonna be a big project car after college at this rate. My parents flip out when I want to put money into my car. I'll probably end up thanking them someday but not now. I want an awesome car and they just want it to stay running. Opposite sides of the playing field. Well at least I know what I can do as far as brakes go once four years of school is out of the way, yeaaa, (not). I'm a youngin only 18.

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

Can you please state your mods or if its stock?

Reasons is its best to get the best bang for the money and $700 would be best spent at your age and income level on suspension.

Don't forget to scout the classifieds where you can get good deals. Even posting a "wanted to buy post" will get you a zillion people wanting to hook you up.

Try not to get ripped off and avoid Jim Edwards from NC.

Ill admit having these brakes on a street driven Z is a bit over kill but its my only vehicle at the moment so its nice having it ready when I attend some autocrosses and track events. Good luck buddy. Juan