HybridZ

I have to agree with Juan. Spend that money on springs & shocks (good ones) and throw a set of Porterfields all the way around and your car will stop and handle just fine, more than well enough to get you in trouble. (considering your age and lack of experience) Good luck.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

Speaking of brakes, I now have the 280z and 510 rear available.

I'm taking tomorrow off so if you have any questions you can call me at 518 505 5826 or leave me a message here. Thanks! Juan

http://jskinnovations.com/Datsun.htm

510 complete setup

Picture%20292.jpg

510 and 280z hats (same hat used on both vechiles)

Picture%20288.jpg

280 brake brackets

Picture%20286.jpg

well after 4-6years of college I guess I finally be able start my huge project on my Z.

Future Mods consist of:

Suspension

-Coilovers

-urethane bushings

-aftermarket sway bars

-Maybe a camber kit

-strut tower braces

-maybe aluminized control arms

-maybe a four link system

Brakes

-12" slotted rotors all around

-fourpiston calipers with semi-metallic pads

-stainless brakes lines

Drivetrain

-Aluminum axles

-aluminum driveshaft

-limited slip differential

-heavy duty halfshaft U-joints

-all new bearings and seals where needed

Wheels/Tires

-17"x 10-12" in rear with 265-295tires

-17"x8-8.5" in front with 245-255tires

Engine

-cast aluminum L28 block bored to 3.1L

-p90 head (maybe)

-forged pistons

-peformance camshaft kit

-port and polish

-twin turbo conversion with T4 turbo with adjustable wastegates and blow off valves

-electronic boost control

-intercooler

-oil cooler

-oil valve

-oil pump springs

-aluminum radiator

-electrc fan

-larger fuel injectors maybe off a 350Z or something

-perfomance computer

-perfomance spark plugs (splitfires, or bosch quads)

-valve job on the head

-custom made headers with Jet hot coating

-performance computer

-Crane Cams XR3000 electronic ignition with the HI-6S Inductive ignition

-high performance coil from Crane Cams

-Spark plug wires from either NGK or this company in europe who makes spark plugs out of more conductive silver delivering a hotter spark.

-replace all bushings with urethane where possible

-new engine mounts

-new gaskets

-new seals and bearings where needed

Transmission

-short throw shifter (all ready done)

-performance clutch

-maybe a 6 speed tranny swap

-aluminum flywheel

Interior Mods/Security/Stereo

-Corbeau racing seats

-four point racing harnesses

-autometer gauges

-fiberglass dash

-custom fiberglass door inserts for speakers

-full custom fiberglass stereo in the rear (already designed)

-Five amplifiers

-optima batteries hiddens behind seats

-2 12" woofers

-2 10" woofers

- array of 6.5" and 6"x9" speakers

-array of tweeters

-maybe a fold up 15" monitor

-alpine head unit with MP3-DVD-CD-AM/FM capability with a 7" monitor

-custom fiberglass console (that sits higher that the stock one did, and accompanies to cup holders and place to put switches.

-motorized rear hatch via remote

-array of blue LEDs hidden throughout interior

-blue or white backlighting on the dash (don't like the orange)

-new carpeting

-full polished aluminum roll cage (simple roll cage) with blue padding

-smaller 13-13/1/2" steering wheel for drifting and good looks

-drilled aluminum racing pedal pads (not APC crap)

-alarm system

Exterior Mods

-full custom urethane bodykit

-four inch custom flares in the rear to accomadate the huge rims and tires

-large Carbon fiber/Aluminum Drifting/GT style wing thats sits level with roofline. (possibly custom as well)

-Custom tail lights (already designed)

-Custom headlights (already designed)

-front and rear cameras

-full LED undercar light kit with musical response

-full diamond plate under body protector/aerodynamic enhancer (skid plate)

-NISSAN daytona blue paint with a gloss black hood with silver hood pins. blue on wing too

-recessed chrome accent for front with custom LED turn signals

-recessed chrome accent on rear valance

-HELLA blue fog lights for front fascia

-custom motorized sunroof

Exhuast

-custom 3" stainless steel mandrel bent piping finished with an APEXi turbo muffler

-custom fiberglass console (that sits higher that the stock one did' date=' and accompanies to cup holders and place to put switches.

-[/quote']

Real sport cars don't have cup holders! 8)

OR I could just make it sit higher and squish water bottles between the seat and the console like I do now!

Aluminum axles

I don't think so.

cast aluminum L28 block bored to 3.1L

Let me know if you find one!

perfomance spark plugs (splitfires, or bosch quads)

Those are crap. Go with NGKs or something comparable.

...and your right, that will be a huge project: be prepared to spend a lot of $$$.

Aluminum axles

I don't think so.

cast aluminum L28 block bored to 3.1L

Let me know if you find one!

perfomance spark plugs (splitfires, or bosch quads)

Those are crap. Go with NGKs or something comparable.

...and your right, that will be a huge project: be prepared to spend a lot of $$$.

Aluminum axles=CUSTOM MADE

cast aluminum L28 block bored to 3.1L=CUSTOM MADE

THANKS FOR THE SPARK PLUG INFO. I DIDN'T KNOW NGK MADE SPARK PLUGS.

ONE THINGS FOR SURE THE PROJECT WILL MORE THAN QUINTUPLE THE VALUE OF THE CAR. i'M SURE IT'S AT LEAST $50,000 IN MODS BUT ITS WORTH IT TO HAVE A ONE OF A KIND 280ZX.

No, you'll spend 4 times as much to maybe have the value be twice as much! I'd say a ZX with $50k invested might get $20-25k, if you have the right buyer. But like you said, it's about having one of a kind car. Most people might think "More money than......", but I'm all about "different strokes....". :shock:

I swear that I will never be able to let go of this car? Many times I have had the opportunity to but there is too much of a personal connection to the car. My sister often tells girls that ask if I have a girlfriend, that I don't exept for my car. The car to me is priceless. The mods only enhance its beauty, price is just a hurdle in the way of perfection. Complicated people like be like complicated stuff. Thus the complex crazy future fits perfect. If the 4-6years off college pay off. I should have a good salary being either an Automotive Engineer or Automotive Designer. Either one would lend a good hand in making my dreams a reality. Automotive Engineers alone from what I've heard make $150,000 easily in a year. I dunno about designers though, but look at Chip Foose he makes some serious bank and he designs cars for a living.

Value is not of importance cause its priceless to me who cares what others think, what they will see will make there mouths drop and whatnot, kinda like seeing a ferrari or a lamborghini but a little better. Not to mention the power that will be made will hopefully blow those high-end cars away up to maybe 120ish.

Speed is excilarating in a line, but in a turn sliding its pure enjoyment, being in your own car just makes it even better too.

In the words of Aerosmith (I shall and will always) DREAM ON

Hey it can be done. I was saying to myself you have a dream and go for it. We don't know what money you currently have or will have.

Its a tough decision. if you can afford the money sleepless nights working on projects, finding people to fabricates parts for you at 50 an hr,prototypes etc go for it.

You are young and will most likely have a family in time. Visions I saw when I was younger aren't the same.

I'm young myself and just doing what I am now has taken 100% of my time. You'll be girlfriendless for a long time hehe at least you'll have the ZX.

We are here to help you get there whether you have a dream to build that engine or aluminum drive train.

Keep this attitude up and you'll be someone to be reckon with !

sorry for typos and errors but who's grading me. Juan

Guest ON3GO

hey man im a young guy on ths forum and i have one main turbo project Z and another Z im turboing right now as a low budget project.

i thought i would spend only say 10K on my green Z... well ya.. umm i now have over 23 grand in it and its not even 50% done nor is it runing.

like everybody says do it slowly, one part at a time, and about this thread.. i say get the brakes and suspension 1st, its a good start.

i have JSK brakes and im very happy with them.

mike

All I can suggest is before paying big $$$ on parts, do some research. Many things you've listed aren't going to work well at all, and other things are a lot of money for little to no gain. I'm all for having a dream and building a radical car, so I wish you luck. I just don't want to see a twin T4 turbo'd 3.1L. ;)

Also a lot of what has been listed is not optimal, and there are better choices out there for your setup. (CV joints instead of U-joints, for instance) Keep reading and planning accordingly.

All I can suggest is before paying big $$$ on parts' date=' do some research. Many things you've listed aren't going to work well at all, and other things are a lot of money for little to no gain. I'm all for having a dream and building a radical car, so I wish you luck. I just don't want to see a twin T4 turbo'd 3.1L. ;)

Also a lot of what has been listed is not optimal, and there are better choices out there for your setup. (CV joints instead of U-joints, for instance) Keep reading and planning accordingly.[/quote']

I just don't want to see a twin T4 turbo'd 3.1L= why not?

what won't work well with this setup?

I thought briefly about doing direct fuel ignition versus port injection. More money? but more power and better gas mileage.

I'm not a turbo guy but my guess is that you won't be able to spool those big turbos on a 3.1L until 5K rpm or higher.

You really need to do some homework and read up on these cars. A lot of the mods you listed don't make any sense (aluminized control arms (like a cheap exhaust pipe???), aluminum roll cage, 4 link), and your choice of a 2+2 ZX is probably not the best vehicle to start with. Hopefully by the time you're ready to go with this project you'll sort some of that stuff out.

I strongly suspect you'll have difficulty finding any configuration with twin T4's that you'll be happy with due to the size of those turbo's. 1 full T4 on a 3.1L is a LOT of turbo for that displacement, and would be capable of some big HP numbers, and be peaky to drive. 2 together, well... double what I just said. ;)

There are plenty of other turbos that will work well in a twin system, give good overall drivability and gobs of power. Search around a bit, there are a couple around here.

I wouldn't even consider direct injection for gas milage purposes. With the setup you are talking about you can basically throw milage out the window anyway.

probably right about the direct ignition. How about twin T3-T4hybrid turbos. T3's are kinda small, plus that the same size as the stock 280zx turbo whoop-de-do (I'm not cliche)(power while meing unique is a rule).

:?: WHy wouldn't the aluminum controls arms be good :?: (yes aluminum is soft but its used on newer cars and is drastically lighter I think)(the stock steel control arms weigh a ton!)

and to think originally (like 4 months ago) i was thinking twin T66 turbos. :shock:

:?: what about a large turbo (high RPM power) and a small turbo (low RPM power) simlar to what is done on Supras? :?:

Aluminum control arms would be fine. Aluminizing is a coating process done to exhaust systems to prevent corrosion. There are already chromoly control arms available for the front and rear of Zs. Not sure about the ZX, but on the Z they save 2 lbs in the rear where the bigger control arm is. In the front I'd guess 1/2 lb. Not exactly a huge weight savings, and aluminum arms would have to be thick cast arms, at least that's the only way I've seen it done. Then you would probably gain rigidity, but at the cost of weight. Might as well go chromoly at that point.

http://www.arizonazcar.com

Nobody makes an aftermarket rear semi trailing arm for a ZX that I'm aware of.

You could always get a set of CNC'd solid control arms made, though I don't believe the cost would outweight the benefit, especially compared with what is out there allready. However, since you have a ZX, maybe it is worth pursuing because there isn't anything out there for replacements.

A stock T3 is small... Tell that to anyone running slower than 12.47 in the quarter mile against Jersey and see how small they think it is! (Jersey just ran a 12.47 1/4 with the stock turbo) Twin hybrid T3/T4's are getting closer to the realm of possibility, though I still think even a pair T3/T04B with .48AR housings is going to be too much turbo. There are lots of calculators on the web that will help you figure out proper turbo sizing, even for twins.

The sequential turbo idea is an interesting one... no one has done that yet on an Lseries as far as I know!

Back to your engine. You are considering paying the (huge) money it takes to build an aluminum block L28, yet consider keeping the P90 head? You will find more power gains with a more radical head design, if you are going really custom I'd put some effort in making a cross-flow head, or looking for an block/head combo that allready has one.

You are a long way from this yet, but in my experience performance spark plugs are garbage in an L-series. Stick with regular NGK's!

Last comment: search, search, search this site. Many topics on your list (and many of your questions so far) will be on this site allready. The first step to any large project is research in one form or another. ;)

Why not just throw in a twin turbo supra engine in there. Ive seen it done and I think he sold it awhile ago.